Peace and Justice
President Obama Calls for a World Free of Nuclear Weapons
by David KriegerApr 07, 2009
- President Obama’s speech in Prague was a world-changing moment, a promise of unprecedented historical change on the most profoundly dangerous issue confronting not only America but the world.
Is There Hope for Sri Lanka?
by Sharif AbdullahApr 01, 2009
- Sharif Abdullah reports on the situation in Sri Lanka, and finds hope for conflict resolution.
The City that Ended Hunger
by Frances Moore LappeFeb 13, 2009
- A city in Brazil recruited local farmers to help do something U.S. cities have yet to do: end hunger.
YES! Film Picks: War Child / The End of Poverty?
Feb 13, 2009
- Reviews of some of our favorite films of the season.
In Review: Bill Cleveland’s Art and Upheaval
by Brooke JarvisFeb 13, 2009
- Review of Art and Upheaval: Artists on the World's Frontlines, by Bill Cleveland
Signs of Life :: Activists Seek Peace in Gaza
by Stephen ZunesFeb 13, 2009
- After a military assault in Gaza, activists seek peace.
4 Ways to Fix the Farm Bill
by Anna Stern, Madeline OstranderFeb 13, 2009
- A "Food Bill" instead of a Farm Bill.
Visual Learning: Week of Nonviolence
by Jing FongJan 27, 2009
- Use this photo to ask your students what they notice and are wondering. Then share the facts behind the image to connect to greater understanding and discovery.
Connect and Engage: Making History
by Jing FongJan 16, 2009
- To teach happiness, be happy. Teachers, in particular, need support to be passionate and content in a challenging profession. The Center for Courage and Renewal's "Courage to Teach" supports this belief with essays, articles, and a retreat program.
Obama: No Human Being is Illegal
by Roberto Dr. Cintli RodriguezNov 14, 2008
- Sen. Barack Obama's resounding victory is a generational victory. As one friend told me, it is 400 years in the making. In that sense, that explains the tears and the dancing in the streets across the nation and across the suddenly very small world we live in...
Quote :: issue 46 :: Split This Rock
Nov 12, 2008
- “I dream of a child who will ask, ‘Mother, what was war?’”
Quote :: issue 41 :: Cornel West
by Cornel WestNov 12, 2008
- America—this monument to the genius of ordinary men and women, this place where hope becomes capacity, this long, halting turn of the NO into the YES, needs citizens who love it enough to re-imagine and remake it.” Cornel West.
The Power of Forgiveness
Nov 04, 2008
- The Power of Forgiveness explores the challenges and reveals how forgiveness can transform your life.
Nov 04, 2008
- East meets West in the Deep South. An overcrowded maximum-security prison—the end of the line in Alabama's correctional system—is dramatically changed by the influence of an ancient meditation program.
YES! Film Picks :: The Power of Forgiveness
by Carol EstesOct 31, 2008
- This thoughtful film recounts the stories of people who have suffered almost unbearable losses and invites us into their struggles to forgive. The film also explores the life journeys of Holocaust-survivor Elie Wiesel and Vietnam War-survivor Thich Nhat Hanh. Both found so much power in forgiveness that they have made it the centerpiece of their life’s work...