PEACE & JUSTICE
A fair world lays the foundations for peace.
Reconsider Columbus Day
posted Oct 12, 2009
- Does honoring Christopher Columbus with a federal holiday perpetuate a philosophy of racism and domination? A video sponsored by the United Confederation of Taino People, International Indian Treaty Council, and Rethinking Schools says that it does.
Nobel Committee, Strategic as Ever, Taps Obama for Peace Prize
by Robert Naimanposted Oct 09, 2009
- In giving this award, the Committee is saying to the U.S.: "Showing signs of significant improvement. Keep up the good work."
How to Exit Afghanistan
by Erik Leaverposted Oct 01, 2009
- An exit strategy is the best way to support Afghanistan's long-term prospects for peace and prosperity.
Toward a Nuclear-Free Future
by Joseph Cirincioneposted Sep 23, 2009
- In his speech to the U.N., Obama made the case for nuclear disarmament.
Costa Rica Creates Department of Peace
by Susie Shuttsposted Sep 22, 2009
- Former justice ministry will now focus on promoting peace and conflict resolution.
posted Sep 22, 2009
- Like YES! Magazine, Rethinking Schools strives to be both visionary and practical. We are delighted to share three of many lesson plans from Rethinking Schools that get to the heart of a real-world education.
Let's Think Peace
posted Sep 21, 2009
- Huong, an artist, peace activist, and former refugee who fled her native Vietnam in 1975, has painted her visions of war and peace for more than three decades.
When the Prisoners Ran Walpole
by Carol Estesposted Sep 18, 2009
- Carol Estes reviews Jamie Bissonette's account of a true story in the movement for prison abolition
People We Love: Heng Monychenda
by Lynsi Burtonposted Sep 18, 2009
- Peaceful approach in rural Cambodia
People We Love: Valerie Fast Horse
by Heather Purserposted Sep 18, 2009
- Bringing technology to tribes
Native Recipe for Health
by Gabriel Thompsonposted Sep 17, 2009
- The Tohono O’odham Nation tackles diabetes with a return to desert foods.
Weapons of Mass Democracy
by Stephen Zunesposted Sep 16, 2009
- Here’s evidence that nonviolence is the most powerful tool to promote democracy and overthrow tyranny.
Youths Face the Holocaust
by Lynsi Burtonposted Sep 09, 2009
- Facing History connects students to people who have witnessed injustice, like artist and Holocaust survivor Ava Kadishson Schieber.
Healing Power of Prison Poetry
by Eli Hastingsposted Sep 09, 2009
- Writers help teens in jail learn to express difficult truths by putting pencil to paper.
Climate Activists Dream a New Future
by Madeline Ostranderposted Sep 09, 2009
- The Pachamama Alliance encourages a re-examination of the values and assumptions that have led our society into social and environmental crises.