PEACE & JUSTICE
A fair world lays the foundations for peace.
Signs of Life :: Activists Protests Drone Warfare in Afghanistan
by Valerie Saturenposted May 07, 2009
- An interfaith Sacred Peace Walk organized by the Nevada Desert Experience sought to engage in dialogue with Air Force personnel operating Predator and Reaper drones from the base.
Signs of Life :: New Mexico Ends Capital Punishment
by Kim Eckartposted May 07, 2009
- New Mexico becomes the second state to abolish the death penalty, since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated capital punishment in 1976.
President Obama Calls for a World Free of Nuclear Weapons
by David Kriegerposted Apr 07, 2009
- President Obama’s speech in Prague was a world-changing moment, a promise of unprecedented historical change on the most profoundly dangerous issue confronting not only America but the world.
Is There Hope for Sri Lanka?
by Sharif Abdullahposted Apr 01, 2009
- Sharif Abdullah reports on the situation in Sri Lanka, and finds hope for conflict resolution.
The City that Ended Hunger
by Frances Moore Lappéposted Feb 13, 2009
- A city in Brazil recruited local farmers to help do something U.S. cities have yet to do: end hunger.
YES! Film Picks: War Child / The End of Poverty?
posted Feb 13, 2009
- Reviews of some of our favorite films of the season.
In Review :: Bill Cleveland’s Art and Upheaval
by Brooke Jarvisposted Feb 13, 2009
- Review of Art and Upheaval: Artists on the World's Frontlines, by Bill Cleveland
Signs of Life :: Activists Seek Peace in Gaza
by Stephen Zunesposted Feb 13, 2009
- After a military assault in Gaza, activists seek peace.
Iraqi Families on the Borders
by Johnny Barberposted Feb 13, 2009
- Families share their stories of escape and survival.
4 Ways to Fix the Farm Bill
by Anna Stern, Madeline Ostranderposted Feb 13, 2009
- A "Food Bill" instead of a Farm Bill.
Art and Upheaval :: Photos from the Book
posted Feb 13, 2009
- This photo-essay features images from William Cleveland's book Art and Upheaval. The book tells remarkable stories about artists who resolve conflict, heal unspeakable trauma, give voice to the forgotten and disappeared, and restitch the cultural fabric of their communities.
Visual Learning: Week of Nonviolence
posted Jan 27, 2009
- Use this photo to ask your students what they notice and are wondering. Then share the facts behind the image to connect to greater understanding and discovery.
Connect and Engage: Making History
posted Jan 16, 2009
- To teach happiness, be happy. Teachers, in particular, need support to be passionate and content in a challenging profession. The Center for Courage and Renewal's "Courage to Teach" supports this belief with essays, articles, and a retreat program.
Obama: No Human Being is Illegal
by Roberto Dr. Cintli Rodriguezposted Nov 14, 2008
- Sen. Barack Obama's resounding victory is a generational victory. As one friend told me, it is 400 years in the making. In that sense, that explains the tears and the dancing in the streets across the nation and across the suddenly very small world we live in...
Quote :: issue 46 :: Split This Rock
posted Nov 12, 2008
- “I dream of a child who will ask, ‘Mother, what was war?’”