Listening, learning, and discovering shared purpose.
Empowerment in the Classroom
by Yana Kunichoffposted Feb 09, 2012
- How do we teach high school students to see themselves as protagonists in history? One idea involves Lupe Fiasco, Matt Damon, and the late Howard Zinn.
6 Ways to Empower Others
by Starhawkposted Feb 01, 2012
- What makes a good leader? The gift of strengthening everyone else.
Book Review: The Empowerment Manual
by Olivia Rosaneposted Feb 01, 2012
- Starhawk's guide to collaborative group success.
Occupy the Dream: MLK’s Legacy in the Age of Occupy
posted Jan 16, 2012
- What would Martin Luther King, Jr. have made of the worldwide social movements of 2011?
Eboo Patel: Crossing the Divide— With Faith
by Kate Malongowskiposted Jan 02, 2012
- The YES! Breakthrough 15: Arming the world’s youth to be a force for compassion.
5 Reasons to Serve
by Nipun Mehtaposted Dec 30, 2011
- What doing things for others does for ourselves.
Why Equality is Better for Everyone
by Kristy Leissleposted Dec 27, 2011
- Book Review: Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett's "The Spirit Level" shows how inequality—and misery—trickle up.
When You Tell Them My Story, Please Mention That I Like Flaming Hot Cheetos
posted Dec 21, 2011
- What happens when students are given the honor and onus of writing a complete stranger's story in poetry form? Middle school students from rural and urban Oregon took the risk, transforming preconceived notions—from gangs to trailer trash, stuck up rich people to redneck hicks— into bridges.
Re-Occupy: A Movement Seeks a Sanctuary
by Nathan Schneiderposted Dec 19, 2011
- On occupying Trinity Church—and the Occupy movement's relationship with established institutions.
Grace Lee Boggs’ Message to the Occupiers
posted Dec 16, 2011
- A lifelong activist shares her thoughts on revolution.
From the Farm to the Occupation
by Shannon Hayesposted Dec 07, 2011
- Shannon Hayes on taking farm politics to Occupy Wall Street...and talking about the politics of Occupy in her farming community.
Grace Boggs: Reviving the Lost City
by Larry Gabrielposted Dec 07, 2011
- The YES! Breakthrough 15: A decades-long revolution to rekindle the soul of urban neighborhoods.
In Defense of Diplomacy
by Stephen Zunesposted Nov 23, 2011
- New legislation would make all diplomatic contact with Iran illegal. Stephen Zunes explains why we need to keep the lines of communication open.
Occupy Wall Street, Beyond Encampments
by Luis Moreno-Caballud, Marina Sitrinposted Nov 21, 2011
- As winter arrives and police crack down, how can occupiers keep their movement alive—and help it grow? Veteran activists share lessons from Spain’s Indignados.
Lessons of a Police Chief: Militarization is a Mistake
by Norm Stamperposted Nov 16, 2011
- The police chief who oversaw Seattle’s crackdown on WTO protesters learned the dangers of militarization. His advice for a creating a police force that truly serves and protects communities.