Breakthrough Communities: Lessons from Pennsauken, N.J.
by M. Paloma PavelFeb 12, 2010
- M. Paloma Pavel, founder of Breakthrough Communities and president of Earth House Center, shares tips for intentional integration in your community.
Discussion Guide: America: The Remix
by Ashlee GreenFeb 11, 2010
- Includes article summaries and questions to spark your discussion around the YES! Magazine multiracial America issue.
Resource Guide for a Multiracial America
by Berit AndersonFeb 11, 2010
- Here are some groups, campaigns, media sources and organizations to help you learn more about the multiracial experience and growing movements across the country. Pick one (or 10) that interest you and get involved yourself!
Quote: President Barack Obama
Feb 11, 2010
- A quote from President Barack Obama, from the America: The Remix issue of YES! Magazine. Download it here.
A Call to Bring the World Together…
Feb 08, 2010
- Video: Since its November 2009 launch, over 36,000 people have affirmed the Charter for Compassion, a project that sprouted from author Karen Armstrong's TED speech. Based on the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," the charter is a result of public input from 150,000 religious and secular people worldwide.
Making Peace in South Asia: The Role of Citizens' Diplomacy
by Zia MianJan 29, 2010
- Tired of waiting for their governments to act, Indians and Pakistanis are uniting to find common ground and pathways to peace.
An Invitation to Sacred Intention
by Rabbi Ted Falcon, Pastor Don Mackenzie, Sheikh Jamal RahmanJan 26, 2010
- Three friends from different faiths offer guidance for forming intentions that focus not on what we do or don't have, but on who we are.
"Peacing It Together" Unites Israeli and Palestinian Teens
Dec 29, 2009
- A movie trailer for the 30-minute documentary "Peacing It Together," which follows 10 Israeli, 10 Palestinian, ad 9 Canadian teens as they make films together that focus on peace.
10 Courageous Things You Can Do to Build Community
by Milenko MatanovicDec 29, 2009
- Building strong communities is critical, hard work. It’s also one of the most courageous and important things each of us can do every day.
A New Beginning with the Muslim World
by Farrah HassenDec 17, 2009
- If the administration is serious about building a new relationship with the Muslim world, it should implement one basic, non-ideological, cost-effective policy: Stop killing Muslims.
Lessons from the Attack on Van Jones
by Rob Biko BakerDec 15, 2009
- Jones is a powerful role model in or out of the White House.
How to Talk to Your Friends About Copenhagen
by Madeline OstranderDec 10, 2009
- Talking about climate change may be one of the most revolutionary things you can do. But how do you strike up your own Copenhagen conversations—and what do you say once you do?
Honoring Nathan Huggins, Martin, and Malcolm
by Grace Lee BoggsDec 10, 2009
- I spoke (via Skype) to the graduate students Symposium at Harvard University on December 5, the 20th anniversary of the death of Nathan Huggins, former director of the university's DuBois Center.
Chimamanda Adichie on Why Stories Matter
Dec 09, 2009
- In this video of her speech, Novelist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie discusses the dangers of hearing only a single story about a person or place, and how stories can be used to empower and humanize people rather than to divide and emphasize differences.
Climate Hero Sharon Hanshaw
by Kate SheppardNov 10, 2009
- Left homeless after Hurricane Katrina, she fights for communities that will suffer most from climate impacts.