A Real World Plan for the President’s Second Term
by David KortenNov 08, 2012
- The pundits are right that Obama should work to bridge political divides. But he needs to reach out to the American people—not to the Republican Party.
Julie Erfle: Unlikely Advocate for Immigration Reform
Oct 08, 2012
- Instead of turning against undocumented immigrants after her husband's killing, this journalist chose to work for positive policy reform.
Daniel Beaty: Theater for Social Good
Oct 08, 2012
- “Theater should reflect reality,” says Daniel Beaty, a playwright, singer, and performer who takes on hard social issues like race and class in his one-man shows.
New NYC Subway Ads: “Love Your Muslim Neighbors”
by Beau UnderwoodSep 28, 2012
- After hateful ads implying that Muslims are “savages” were posted in New York subway stations, a Christian group launched its own campaign.
One Billion Rising
Sep 24, 2012
- Eve Ensler has said that nothing is more important than stopping violence against women. Her new short film encourages us to rise up do just that.
Less Brand, More Tactic: Labor Win’s Lessons for Occupy
by Olivia RosaneSep 20, 2012
- A group of immigrant workers in Manhattan won a union for themselves, partly through collaboration with Occupy Wall Street. Their story suggests a collaborative path forward for the movement.
Occupy Your Victories: Occupy Wall Street’s First Anniversary
by Rebecca SolnitSep 17, 2012
- Rebecca Solnit provides an inspiring panorama of triumphs that Occupiers helped achieve in just one short year. She urges us to stay in it for the long haul.
What’s Red and Black and Controlled Independently by Students?
by Polina MarinovaAug 31, 2012
- The student-run newspaper serving the University of Georgia, of course. When the board tried to take over editorial control, the student staff walked out in a final effort to make their voices heard.
Eve Ensler: Freedom Starts With a “V”
by Madeline OstranderAug 09, 2012
- The “Vagina Monologues” author on why knowing your body can shake up the world.
Fighting Coal While Supporting Miners?
by John C. BergAug 03, 2012
- Can you fight austerity and climate change at the same time?
What Can Change When We Learn to See Each Other
by Akaya WindwoodAug 01, 2012
- Here’s my invitation to you: Let’s take a month and intentionally notice those we would normally not see. Let’s interrupt old patterns of not looking into the eyes of “those people”—whoever they are to you.
Syria: Lamp in the Storm
by Michael NaglerJul 30, 2012
- How can we can create the right vision to support indigenous nonviolence and unarmed civilian peacekeeping?
Redefining Radical: Catholic Nuns Vs. the Vatican
by Mark EnglerJun 14, 2012
- Chastised for sticking up for social justice, a group of nuns is pushing back against the Vatican.
World to Wisconsin: We’re With You
Jun 05, 2012
- Activists around the world sent statements of solidarity to Wisconsin's protesters.
Street Credibility: Homeless Protesters Fight For Recognition
by Claudia RoweJun 05, 2012
- Do corporations have an obligation to help the poor in their communities? These unconventional occupiers think so.