Alison Smith: Elections Money Can’t Buy
by Paul LoebJan 26, 2012
- The YES! Breakthrough 15: How a quiet, stay-at-home mom became a clean-elections champion.
Live Coverage of Inauguration from Democracy Now!
by YES! online staffJan 21, 2012
- Beginning at 8:00 a.m. eastern standard time and continuing until 1 p.m., Democracy Now! will cover the second inauguration of President Barack Obama. Watch it here at YES!
Why I’m Giving Up Cynicism for New Year's
by Bill McKibbenJan 06, 2012
- Let’s be naïve enough to demand a country more like the one we were promised in high school civics class.
How Cities and States are Sticking It to Citizens United
by Brooke JarvisJan 05, 2012
- From courthouses to statehouses, the pro-corporate ruling is under pressure.
L.A. and Occupy L.A. Agree: It’s Time to End Corporate Personhood
by Brooke JarvisDec 06, 2011
- What’s the issue that unites the occupiers and the city they’re occupying? Getting corporate money out of politics.
We the People vs. Wall Street
by Sarah van GelderDec 02, 2011
- The YES! Magazine editors are planning a new issue focused on practical ways to counter the power of corporations and Wall Street. Can you help?
An Oregon Experiment in Citizen Governance
by Tyrone ReitmanNov 04, 2011
- A new law that puts voters in charge of breaking through political spin could be a first step in making policy decisions that work.
Can't Buy My Vote: Maine’s Fight for Fair Elections
by Brooke JarvisOct 27, 2011
- For more than a decade, a groundbreaking Clean Elections law has helped protect Maine politics from the influence of big money. But what’s happening now that big spenders have free rein to influence elections—and what does it mean for the rest of the country?
Give Us Our Law Back: Montana Fights to Stop Corporate Corruption
by Gwen Stowe, Jeff ClementsMay 24, 2011
- For nearly 100 years, Montana law prohibited corporate money in politics. Then came the Citizens United decision.
Mr. Colbert Goes to the FEC
by Brooke JarvisMay 18, 2011
- The satirist wants to form "a megaphone made of cash"—his own super PAC.
The Story of Citizens United
Mar 01, 2011
- Annie Leonard's new film asks: Why have corporations gotten so powerful? And what can we do about it?
5 Ways You Can Fight Citizens United
by Annie Leonard, Allison CookFeb 21, 2011
- The Story of Citizens United v FEC: How we the people can reclaim our democracy.
Legal Pros Say No to Citizens United
by Jeffrey D. Clements and Ben T. ClementsNov 17, 2010
- Experts call for Constitutional amendment to take back democracy from corporations.
After the Campaign Cash, the Backlash
by Brooke JarvisNov 04, 2010
- The 2010 midterm elections—the first since Citizens United opened the floodgates to corporate campaign cash—were the most expensive in history. So what happens next?
Will the Real Voice of Small Business Please Stand Up?
by Stacy MitchellNov 02, 2010
- Small businesses and local chambers are distancing themselves from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s politics.