The Oscar for Best Voting System Goes To...
by Rob RichieMar 05, 2010
- There's a new method for choosing Best Picture this year: instant runoff voting, a system that would also make political elections more fair.
Appeals Court Rules Inmates Entitled to Voting Rights
by Jeff RaderstrongFeb 26, 2010
- A federal appeals court in January ruled that felons incarcerated in Washington State have been illegally barred from voting.
10 Ways to Stop Corporate Dominance of Politics
by Fran KortenJan 25, 2010
- The recent Supreme Court decision to allow unlimited corporate spending in politics just may be the straw that breaks the plutocracy’s back.
by Thomas Linzey, Mari MargilJan 21, 2010
- Pro-democracy groups are mobilizing against a Supreme Court decision that will allow corporations to funnel money directly to candidates for federal office.
Are Corporations People?
Jan 21, 2010
- Video: The Supreme Court has granted private for-profit corporations the right to contribute unlimited funds to political campaigns. What can citizens do to protect democracy?
World’s Citizens to Politicians: Get Serious on Global Warming Now!
by Richard ScloveOct 29, 2009
- A new worldwide poll on climate change reflects a global consensus for urgent action—and sets a precedent for deliberative democracy at the international level.
Signs of Life :: Legal Settlements Protect Voters
by Susie ShuttsAug 28, 2009
- Organizations in Ohio, Missouri, and elsewhere are correcting problems that prevented thousands of people from voting in recent elections.
Instant Runoff Elections are a Vote for Civility
by Rob RichieMay 07, 2009
- Burlington’s success with instant runoff voting (IRV) is a model of a clean, open debate. Is it time to take it to the national level?
Signs of Life :: Germany Mandates Paper-Trail Voting
by Lilja OttoMay 07, 2009
- Germany’s Federal Constitutional Court has ruled that the voting machines used in the country’s 2005 general election are unconstitutional.
John Legend on the Elections
by John LegendSep 10, 2008
- Musician John Legend encourages youth to make value-based decisions before casting their presidential vote.
Signs of Life :: Elections
by Noah GrantMay 22, 2008
- States Back the Popular Vote
Signs of Life :: Voting
by Edward HailesFeb 03, 2008
- Activists lead successful legal campaigns to stop laws in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Maryland that discourage voting and voter registration
Vote Hope 2008 :6: Rep. Barbara Lee
by Sarah van GelderJan 03, 2008
- Where are the opportunities for real change in the 2008 election? Barbara Lee talks about the need to get more progressive members of Congress, and her OneVoicePAC.
Vote Hope 2008 :5: Chris Hedges
by Sarah van Gelder, Chris HedgesJan 03, 2008
- Where are the opportunities for real change in the 2008 election? Chris Hedges talks about mass media and the need to address the personal and economic despair.
Vote Hope 2008 :4: Bill McKibben
by Sarah van GelderJan 03, 2008
- Where are the opportunities for real change in the 2008 election? To find out, we spoke to some grassroots organizers, national leaders, and elected officials who are working for change.