In Memory of Judy Bonds
by Robert ShetterlyJan 10, 2011
- Artist Robert Shetterly remembers a coal miner's daughter who took on the coal industry.
Mountain Memories: Interview with Judy Bonds
by Taylor Lee KirklandJan 07, 2011
- West Virginia activist Judy Bonds died of cancer this week. Before she died, she gave this interview about fighting to save her home from mountaintop removal coal mining.
10 Most Hopeful Stories of 2010
by Sarah van GelderDec 22, 2010
- There was plenty of disappointment and hardship this year. But the year also brought opportunities for transformation.
Cancún: Changing the Climate Conversation
by Madeline OstranderDec 14, 2010
- Seven years ago, activists in Cancún started a powerful international movement. How can climate justice advocates have the same impact?
In Mexico City, a Message for Cancún
by Laura CarlsenDec 02, 2010
- Why peasant farmers in Mexico are taking the UN climate negotiations seriously.
Big Problem, Big Art
Nov 30, 2010
- Photo essay: As climate negotiators meet in Cancun, activists the world over are reminding them of what’s at stake with some very big art.
In Coal Country, A Win for Clean Energy
by Sue SturgisNov 19, 2010
- A Kentucky power cooperative had plans to burn more coal. Local residents instead demanded cleaner energy and greater efficiency—and won.
Hot Renewable: Wide Interest in Solar Power
by Madeline Ostrander, Doug PibelNov 14, 2010
- The U.S. moves toward a tipping point for solar energy.
Restaurants, Counties, Colleges Promote Tap Water
by Tiffany RanNov 14, 2010
- Tap into the movement that is doing away with bottled water.
Why I Have Hope for Haiti
by Beverly BellNov 12, 2010
- When people ask me, as they do all the time, “Is there any cause for hope in Haiti?” I answer yes.
Rocking The Cynical World
by Madeline OstranderNov 11, 2010
- Why iconic political singer-songwriter Billy Bragg confronts fascists, Tea Parties, Glenn Beck–and his own fans.
Advice for Water Warriors
by Maude BarlowNov 08, 2010
- Maude Barlow on how to move the water justice movement forward.
Billy Bragg Live
Nov 05, 2010
- Video: Billy Bragg performs “Waiting for the Great Leap Forward” and “A Reckoning.”
Missing: A Vision of Economic Possibility
by David KortenNov 03, 2010
- This election showed us that neither of our two major parties has a credible vision for our economic future. And that’s why this is a moment of opportunity.
Organizing in the Internet Age
by Mark EnglerNov 02, 2010
- How online activism can help us understand how real change is made.