Iceland Busts the Banksters
by John NicholsMar 10, 2010
- In a symbolic decision, democracy trumps capital as Icelanders say "no" to big bank bailouts.
Living in Borrowed Times
by Chuck CollinsMar 05, 2010
- In common security clubs around the country, participants wrestle with the questions: What does it mean to live in these “borrowed times?” How do we prepare ourselves and our communities for the economic transitions ahead?
US Social Forum: Forging Alliances, a Movement of Movements
by Ashlee GreenMar 04, 2010
- Organizers expect more than 25,000 when the second United States Social Forum meets June 22–26, 2010, in Detroit.
A New Generation Builds Beyond Racism
by Rob "Biko" BakerMar 04, 2010
- Youth take the promise of Obama and put it into practice.
Becoming a Whole Nation
by Sarah van GelderMar 04, 2010
- Sarah van Gelder introduces the Spring 2010 issue of YES! Magazine: There are some extraordinary people working to make a vision of a just, inclusive society a reality ...
United by Hard Times: Workers Organize Across Race Lines
by Carlos JimenezMar 04, 2010
- A tough economy makes cross-race organizing more important than ever.
Colors in New York: A Restaurant Cooperative
by Berit AndersonMar 04, 2010
- Mamdouh founded the worker-owned Colors as a tribute to those who’d lost their lives in the World Trade Center.
Chicago Ward Tries Citizen Budgeting
by Jeff RaderstrongFeb 26, 2010
- In a city with a history of corruption and lack of transparency, one elected official is restoring meaning to the term “public funds.”
After Copenhagen: How Can We Move Forward?
by Tom AthanasiouFeb 24, 2010
- Copenhagen brought poor nations and grassroots groups into partnership. Our chances of preventing climate catastrophe now rest on the ability of this new alliance to communicate to the world’s richest and most powerful peoples that the emissions emergency is, above all things, a crisis of justice.
Lessons from Howard Zinn
by Anthony ArnoveFeb 16, 2010
- The late historian and activist lived a life of struggle—and enjoyed it to its fullest.
Pray the Devil Back to Hell :: Film Trailer
Feb 11, 2010
- In the face of the civil wars wrecking their country, a small group of courageous Liberian women banded together to advocate peace.
On the Road to Detroit: How to Get to the U.S. Social Forum 2010
Feb 11, 2010
- Are you thinking about going to the U.S. Social Forum this year? Here are some tips on how to get there.
Resource Guide for a Multiracial America
by Berit AndersonFeb 11, 2010
- Here are some groups, campaigns, media sources and organizations to help you learn more about the multiracial experience and growing movements across the country. Pick one (or 10) that interest you and get involved yourself!
Fighting Like Hell
by Beverly BellFeb 11, 2010
- Haiti has a long history of exploitation, but an equally long history of powerful resistance.
A Victory for Haiti
by Hayley HathawayFeb 10, 2010
- How an international, grassroots mobilization helped spur the G7's decision to cancel Haiti's onerous foreign debt.