Cochabamba Postscript: Lessons, Reflections, and the Road to Cancun
by Jason Negrón-GonzalesApr 26, 2010
- There are plenty of reasons to be excited about the alliance gathering around grassroots solutions.
From Crisis to Opportunity
by Velcrow RipperApr 21, 2010
- Will the World People's Summit be a turning point in the climate crisis?
The Cochabamba Water Revolt, Ten Years Later
by Jim ShultzApr 20, 2010
- Bolivia's historic grassroots victory against Bechtel is a reminder of the power of protest—as well as the importance of less romantic work.
Social Action: The Church’s Ministry in the World
by Pastor Don MackenzieApr 16, 2010
- Somewhere in our history, the link between inner spirituality and its expression in the world as loving social action grew faint. To renew that connection, we can draw deeply on traditions that call attention to our Oneness.
Let's See Ourselves
by Gustavo Esteva with Juliette BeckApr 15, 2010
- The fight against climate change has begun to reflect the colonial, top-down worldview that contributed to the problem in the first place. Mexican activist and storyteller Gustavo Esteva on a new vision—one that is radically bottom-up.
Gaviotas: Village of Hope
by Seth Biderman, Christian CasillasMar 30, 2010
- Two activists discover the secrets of a Colombian community’s success—surprise and imagination.
350.org: Getting to Work in 2010
Mar 30, 2010
- With a weak climate "agreement" coming out of Copenhagen, the 350.org campaign urges citizens to get to work in 2010—whether politicians are on board or not.
Iceland Busts the Banksters
by John NicholsMar 10, 2010
- In a symbolic decision, democracy trumps capital as Icelanders say "no" to big bank bailouts.
Living in Borrowed Times
by Chuck CollinsMar 05, 2010
- In common security clubs around the country, participants wrestle with the questions: What does it mean to live in these “borrowed times?” How do we prepare ourselves and our communities for the economic transitions ahead?
US Social Forum: Forging Alliances, a Movement of Movements
by Ashlee GreenMar 04, 2010
- Organizers expect more than 25,000 when the second United States Social Forum meets June 22–26, 2010, in Detroit.
A New Generation Builds Beyond Racism
by Rob "Biko" BakerMar 04, 2010
- Youth take the promise of Obama and put it into practice.
Becoming a Whole Nation
by Sarah van GelderMar 04, 2010
- Sarah van Gelder introduces the Spring 2010 issue of YES! Magazine: There are some extraordinary people working to make a vision of a just, inclusive society a reality ...
United by Hard Times: Workers Organize Across Race Lines
by Carlos JimenezMar 04, 2010
- A tough economy makes cross-race organizing more important than ever.
Colors in New York: A Restaurant Cooperative
by Berit AndersonMar 04, 2010
- Mamdouh founded the worker-owned Colors as a tribute to those who’d lost their lives in the World Trade Center.
Chicago Ward Tries Citizen Budgeting
by Jeff RaderstrongFeb 26, 2010
- In a city with a history of corruption and lack of transparency, one elected official is restoring meaning to the term “public funds.”