All it takes is a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens.
How to Get Involved in Food Policy Councils
by Mark Winneposted Feb 14, 2009
- Here are seven tips for local food citizens interested in organizing food policy councils.
Call for Mass Civil Disobedience Against Coal
by Bill McKibben, Wendell Berryposted Feb 14, 2009
- This is an open letter from Wendell Berry and Bill McKibben.
Update :: Americans Really Mean It: We Want Universal Health Care
posted Feb 13, 2009
- Americans Really Mean It: We Want Universal Health Care.
Update :: Gandhian-Style Revolution
posted Oct 31, 2008
- 11 years ago in YES! we wrote about a visit to the headquarters of the Sri Lankan Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement. Today … we report on how the movement has grown: Sarvodaya is now the largest micro-credit organization in Sri Lanka.
People We Love :: Matthew LaClair
by Noah Grantposted Oct 31, 2008
- When his 11th-grade history teacher told the class that they would go to hell if they rejected God's salvation, Matthew LaClair thought the remarks crossed a line.
Signs of Life :: Iraq's Nonviolence Activism
by Kristin Carlsenposted Oct 31, 2008
- More than 100 citizen groups in all 18 Iraqi provinces participated in a Week of Nonviolence, aimed at reducing violence in the January 2009 provincial elections.
Having a Voice Makes People Happy
by Frances Moore Lappéposted Oct 31, 2008
- Most human beings are not couch potatoes and whiners. We are doers and creators. In fact, humans need to 'make a dent.'
Social Change not Climate Change
by Juliette Beckposted Aug 14, 2008
- Activists and communities in the United Kingdom—where over two hundred years ago, the first lumps of coal were burnt to power the industrial revolution—are igniting a historic revolution of their own. Last week, over 1500 people from all walks of life converged in the Kent countryside, just one-hour southeast of London by train, to rally against climate change in a demonstration of collective, sustainable living and creative direct action.
First Anniversary of the U.S. Social Forum
by Alice Lovelaceposted Aug 14, 2008
- Just over a year ago on June 27 to July 1, 2007, on a hot Atlanta summer week, we were making history at the first-ever US Social Forum (USSF)! We brought together more than 12,000 people from 64 countries and diverse sectors from all over the U.S. and various Indigenous Nations to declare that “Another World is Possible” and that “Another US is Necessary!”
People We Love :: Bill Moyer
by Stephen Silhaposted Jul 30, 2008
- Bill Moyer founded the Backbone Campaign to call on political leaders to take a stand.
Signs of Life :: Foreign Policy
posted Jul 30, 2008
- Activists and political leaders across the country are saying “no” to U.S. military action against Iran and demanding that the U.S. government pursue real diplomacy.
The Battle for Reality
by David Solnitposted Jul 30, 2008
- David Solnit was one of the Direct Action Network organizers for the 1999 WTO demonstrations in Seattle. He looks at what really happened in Seattle, what politicians and the mainstream media have done with the story, and what difference the new movie "Battle in Seattle" might make to public thinking about the 1999 demonstrations.
Tools For a Populist Uprising
by Noah Grant, Layla Aslaniposted Jul 30, 2008
- Practical steps for bridging the political divide. Organizing, building trust, taking direct action—this feature shows you how to get media attention, build a coalition, organize online, and reach out and communicate.
Seeing Red, Feeling Blue in Purple America
by David Sirotaposted Jul 29, 2008
- Americans are under increasing economic pressure, and many feel powerless to do anything about it. David Sirota travels coast to coast and finds the people who know the U.S. is headed in the wrong direction--and are joining a populist uprising to turn it around
This Brave Nation Series:
posted Jun 23, 2008
- A remarkable series co-produced by The Nation magazine and Brave New Foundation, which brings together inspiring activists from different movements and generations, to discuss their ideas, ideals, and approaches to changing the world.