All it takes is a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens.
Fierce Light :: Film Trailer
by Velcrow Ripperposted Aug 14, 2009
- Velcrow Ripper's latest documentary portrays examples of spiritual activism: political actions focusing on compassion and interconnection.
Regenerating Our Learning Commons
posted Aug 14, 2009
- Shikshantar presents Udaipur, India as a learning city.
Registering for Peace
by Tobin Jacobrownposted Aug 06, 2009
- To register as a conscientious objector, Toby Jacobrown had to sue the federal government.
People We Love :: Peter Marshall
by Madeline Ostranderposted Jul 07, 2009
- Fighting fire with climate activism.
People Power Pushed the New Deal
by Sarah Andersonposted Jun 05, 2009
- Roosevelt didn’t come up with all those progressive programs on his own.
In Review :: Rules for Online Radicals
by James Trimarcoposted May 07, 2009
- James Trimarco reviews Markos Moulitsas Zúniga’s Taking on the System: Rules for Radical Change in a Digital Era.
How to Get Involved in Food Policy Councils
by Mark Winneposted Feb 14, 2009
- Here are seven tips for local food citizens interested in organizing food policy councils.
Call for Mass Civil Disobedience Against Coal
by Bill McKibben, Wendell Berryposted Feb 14, 2009
- This is an open letter from Wendell Berry and Bill McKibben.
Update :: Americans Really Mean It: We Want Universal Health Care
posted Feb 13, 2009
- Americans Really Mean It: We Want Universal Health Care.
Update :: Gandhian-Style Revolution
posted Oct 31, 2008
- 11 years ago in YES! we wrote about a visit to the headquarters of the Sri Lankan Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement. Today … we report on how the movement has grown: Sarvodaya is now the largest micro-credit organization in Sri Lanka.
People We Love :: Matthew LaClair
by Noah Grantposted Oct 31, 2008
- When his 11th-grade history teacher told the class that they would go to hell if they rejected God's salvation, Matthew LaClair thought the remarks crossed a line.
Signs of Life :: Iraq's Nonviolence Activism
by Kristin Carlsenposted Oct 31, 2008
- More than 100 citizen groups in all 18 Iraqi provinces participated in a Week of Nonviolence, aimed at reducing violence in the January 2009 provincial elections.
Having a Voice Makes People Happy
by Frances Moore Lappéposted Oct 31, 2008
- Most human beings are not couch potatoes and whiners. We are doers and creators. In fact, humans need to 'make a dent.'
Social Change not Climate Change
by Juliette Beckposted Aug 14, 2008
- Activists and communities in the United Kingdom—where over two hundred years ago, the first lumps of coal were burnt to power the industrial revolution—are igniting a historic revolution of their own. Last week, over 1500 people from all walks of life converged in the Kent countryside, just one-hour southeast of London by train, to rally against climate change in a demonstration of collective, sustainable living and creative direct action.
First Anniversary of the U.S. Social Forum
by Alice Lovelaceposted Aug 14, 2008
- Just over a year ago on June 27 to July 1, 2007, on a hot Atlanta summer week, we were making history at the first-ever US Social Forum (USSF)! We brought together more than 12,000 people from 64 countries and diverse sectors from all over the U.S. and various Indigenous Nations to declare that “Another World is Possible” and that “Another US is Necessary!”