The Power of Nonviolent Action in Honduras
by Stephen ZunesNov 08, 2009
- As the negotiated political resolution falls through, there are still reasons to hope that democracy can be restored.
A Wave of Climate Action
by Richard GravesOct 28, 2009
- An international day of action heralded the emergence of a global grassroots climate movement. Next up: December 12.
Can We Reach 350?
Oct 23, 2009
- As expectations for action in Copenhagen diminish, activists are raising their voices. Amy Goodman interviews Bill McKibben, co-founder and director of 350.org, and Australian scientist Tim Flannery, chair of the Copenhagen Climate Council and author of The Weather Makers.
350 :: The Most Important Number in the World
by Bill McKibbenOct 15, 2009
- From Mount Everest to the Maldives, people worldwide are turning an arcane number into a movement for a stable climate. Bill McKibben asks: Will you join them?
International Youth: Fired Up About Climate Change
by Richard GravesOct 07, 2009
- The generations who will inherit the burden of global warming want bold environmental leadership, responsible climate policies, and green jobs.
Students Stand Up to Coal
by Nick EngelfriedSep 30, 2009
- College students across the country are working to eject coal from their campuses and their communities.
Weapons of Mass Democracy
by Stephen ZunesSep 16, 2009
- Here’s evidence that nonviolence is the most powerful tool to promote democracy and overthrow tyranny.
Volunteers Teach Healing Arts
by Louise DunlapSep 09, 2009
- Inspired by Paulo Freire’s work in the 1960s, Capacitar International teaches practices such as tai chi, acupressure and mindfulness, to volunteers. They then teach those skills in traumatized communities in places like Guatemala, Israel, Palestine, Rwanda, and Ireland.
The Personal IS Powerful
by Colin BeavanSep 09, 2009
- No Impact Man says we shouldn't be distracted by attacking each others' methods of confronting climate change—only by uniting behind the same agenda can we hope for change in the very little time we have to effect it.
Fierce Light :: Film Trailer
by Velcrow RipperAug 14, 2009
- Velcrow Ripper's latest documentary portrays examples of spiritual activism: political actions focusing on compassion and interconnection.
Regenerating Our Learning Commons
Aug 14, 2009
- Shikshantar presents Udaipur, India as a learning city.
Registering for Peace
by Tobin JacobrownAug 06, 2009
- To register as a conscientious objector, Toby Jacobrown had to sue the federal government.
People We Love :: Peter Marshall
by Madeline OstranderJul 07, 2009
- Fighting fire with climate activism.
People Power Pushed the New Deal
by Sarah AndersonJun 05, 2009
- Roosevelt didn’t come up with all those progressive programs on his own.
In Review :: Rules for Online Radicals
by James TrimarcoMay 07, 2009
- James Trimarco reviews Markos Moulitsas Zúniga’s Taking on the System: Rules for Radical Change in a Digital Era.