#BarackTalk: The People’s Take on the State of the Union
by YES! online staffFeb 12, 2012
- From 5:00 to 10:00 EST, a diverse group of students, environmentalists, activists, and community members will present their own take on the state of the union, and then respond to the president’s speech.
The People’s Media
by Joseph TorresFeb 08, 2012
- Public interest groups have waged a spirited campaign to prevent a corporate takeover of the Internet.
A Magna Carta Moment for Internet Freedom
Feb 08, 2012
- Rebecca MacKinnon: Why we must fight for Internet rights—before they’re sold, legislated, and programmed away.
The Koch Brothers Exposed
by Oliver LazenbyFeb 01, 2012
- Film Review: How far do the tentacles of the Kochtopus reach? Follow the money with this collection of 13 short films.
Juliana Rotich: A Map App for Crises
by Lindsay KuceraFeb 01, 2012
- From Kenya, an open-source solution for navigating chaos.
Live Coverage of Inauguration from Democracy Now!
by YES! online staffJan 21, 2012
- Beginning at 8:00 a.m. eastern standard time and continuing until 1 p.m., Democracy Now! will cover the second inauguration of President Barack Obama. Watch it here at YES!
The Internet on Strike
by Brooke JarvisJan 18, 2012
- What happened when major sites went on strike to offer a taste of a censored Internet.
Honest Appalachia: A Local WikiLeaks?
by Sue SturgisJan 18, 2012
- In a region not known for corporate or political transparency, a new website aims to give whistleblowers a forum.
Occupying the First Amendment
by Josh StearnsDec 15, 2011
- 220 years after the Bill of Rights, how we’re still fighting for free speech.
How Will Occupy Evolve?
Nov 22, 2011
- What’s next for the Occupy movement? Thom Hartmann interviews Sarah van Gelder about the new book, This Changes Everything.
Oakland and After: Lessons from the General Strike
by Gabriel ThompsonNov 03, 2011
- Media reports focus on the few acts of vandalism and violence, but the majority of occupiers at Oakland’s General Strike succeeded in a peaceful shutdown of Oakland’s banks and port.
Mission-Driven Media: The New Landscape in Journalism
Jul 22, 2011
- Unlike the corporate media, independent media is unafraid to tell the full story even when doing so threatens the market or those in power.
Community Radio Powers Up
by Oliver LazenbyJun 15, 2011
- A long-fought-for bill will add diversity to the dial and win back broadcast access for communities.
15 Years of Saying YES!
Jun 03, 2011
- Video: 15 years ago, YES! Magazine's founders wondered if, amidst the doom and gloom, there was a place for journalism about hope and possibility. They found their answer.
Sarah van Gelder: 15 Years of YES!
May 15, 2011
- Laura Flanders of GritTV interviews Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine.