Why You Should Watch an Uplifting Movie Tonight
by Sophie H. JanickeMay 06, 2016
- Research shows meaningful films, in particular those that depict values of love, kindness, and connectedness, go a long way toward changing your worldview.
Still Saying YES!—20 Years of Solutions Journalism
by Sarah van GelderApr 28, 2016
- Like many startups, YES! Magazine began with an energized small team, an idea we thought important, and a basement office. Twenty years later, we're stronger than ever.
Humanizing Heroin Addiction: Photos of the Real Lives of Users
by Aaron GoodmanApr 25, 2016
- Can more balanced representations of drug users spark discussions on how to solve North America’s heroin epidemic?
Why Does Being a Man Require So Many Masks?
by Terrance HayesApr 18, 2016
- National Book Award-winning poet Terrance Hayes writes about fatherhood and his own struggle to negotiate Americans' narrow definition of masculinity.
New Film About Sex Trafficking Celebrates the Resilience of Children
by Jasleena GrewalMar 24, 2016
- Filmmakers hope “Sold,” based on the bestselling young adult novel, will inspire empathy and action among young viewers.
Danish Girl’s Oscar Loss a Satisfying Win for Trans Women
by S.E. SMITHMar 10, 2016
- As Hollywood directors race to cash in on the growing interest in the trans community, the results aren’t always good.
Hollywood Whitewashing: How Is This Still a Thing?
by YES! StaffFeb 26, 2016
- This hilarious (and depressing) video explains why we can’t talk about #OscarsSoWhite without talking about Hollywood whitewashing.
White Privilege II Showed Me What an Unruly Mess We’re In
by Jonathan CunninghamFeb 01, 2016
- A Seattle music writer quoted in Macklemore’s controversial new song appreciates how it speaks to young white people—but wishes it had gone further.
The Bravest Response to Fear
by Jeremy Adam SmithJan 17, 2016
- From strangers on the street to Muslim refugees—why we should embrace the humanity of people we may fear.
Why We Need More Shame-Free TV Characters Who Reflect the Reality of Abortion
by Jessica GentileDec 09, 2015
- The internet has been buzzing about Olivia Pope’s abortion on ABC’s Scandal. If nearly one-third of American women have an abortion by age 45, why don’t we see more female characters make the same decision?
The Butterflies Are Alright: Why Monarchs Are Thriving (and Other News to Chew On)
by YES! StaffNov 18, 2015
- Portland's vote to stop new fossil fuel infrastructure, new legislation to protect butterflies, and why what we call ISIS matters.
Do Your Local Politicians Want to Limit Access to Women’s Health Care? This New App Can Tell You
by Stacey GarrattOct 01, 2015
- Hinder is a reproductive justice messaging hub that tells you what your representatives say about women’s bodies. Meet the cabal of comics and writers behind it.
Do Ads Keep the Internet Democratic? (And Other News to Chew on)
by YES! StaffSep 30, 2015
- Drone footage shows nature taking back what’s hers; Washington high-school students build tiny houses for the homeless; and the epic tech battle over adblockers.
Dear Donald Trump: Pissed Off Latinos Are Powerful Latinos
by Yessenia FunesAug 28, 2015
- History has shown that when Latinos feel threatened, they fight back—with their voices and voting power.
After 20 Years Reporting on Solutions, I’m Going on a Journey to Find Where Hope Lies Now
by Sarah van GelderAug 13, 2015
- YES! co-founder Sarah van Gelder sets out on a road trip to find the edge of change.