It's not democracy without independent media.
4 Signs Net Neutrality Isn't Dead (Despite an FCC Proposal You're Not Going to Like)
by James Trimarcoposted May 16, 2014
- They didn't get the proposal they wanted from the FCC. But proponents of a fair and open Internet made important strikes, and the debate is just getting started.
Can We Keep the Internet Free?
by Candace Clementposted May 14, 2014
- The struggle to save the world's greatest communication network.
Fans Move to Buy LA Clippers After Owner Is Banned From NBA
by Christopher Zumski Finkeposted May 06, 2014
- The fans hope to buy the team and make it into a nonprofit organization like the Green Bay Packers.
When Big Money Controls Big Media, There’s a Big Decline in Democracy
by David Kortavaposted Apr 23, 2014
- “Dollarocracy” examines innovations in other democratic nations to solve our money-in-politics crisis.
Edward Snowden's TED Talk Offers Guided Tour of NSA Leaks
posted Mar 21, 2014
- The former NSA contractor, who is living in asylum in Russia, spoke from the screen of a wheeled robot.
Jon Stewart on the "Insanity" of Buying Seafood with Food Stamps
posted Mar 06, 2014
- What do right-wing TV anchors think low-income people should eat? Not salmon, apparently.
Nothing to Hide? Why Facebook's Fine Print Is Still Worth Fighting
by Erin Sagenposted Feb 24, 2014
- Devices we use every day are turning our personal data over to huge corporations. But can we win our privacy back?
Wikileaks Puts the TPP's Feet to the Flames—Can It Take the Heat?
by James Trimarcoposted Nov 15, 2013
- After a major leak from the agreement's secret text, people are talking about the TPP. What will it mean for the secretive trade deal's future?
"Anonymous" Hacktivists to Government: "You Can't Arrest Us All"
by Rachael Stoeveposted Nov 05, 2013
- In new video, the hacker collective vows to stand by those targeted by what it deems "corrupt governments."
Meet the Comic Book Artist Fighting Back Against Rape Culture
by Christopher Zumski Finkeposted Nov 01, 2013
- Comics artist Tess Fowler has a second great talent—communicating about misogyny through social media. Warning: This article contains accounts of sexual assault and may be triggering to some people.
Hey Russell Brand, The Revolution Is Over Here! Come Join Us!
by Nur Laljiposted Oct 29, 2013
- The actor Russell Brand made headlines when he called for a "revolution" on British TV. Here are five movements working to create the "genuine alternatives" Brand said he was looking for.
Dear Internet: Thanks for the Advice on Sex and Drinking. It's Way Better than What We Get from Slate.
by Nur Laljiposted Oct 18, 2013
- Are we starting to see a cultural shift in how our society thinks about rape? The huge online response to a Slate columnist who told women to avoid rape by not drinking suggests that it's starting to happen.
Is "Snowden Effect" Inspiring More Whistleblowers to Step Up?
by James Trimarcoposted Oct 11, 2013
- For those in the intelligence community who want to come forward about government lawbreaking, Edward Snowden made it clear that they're not alone.
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Meet its Real-Life, Climate-Defending, Disney-Dissenting Villains
by James Trimarcoposted Oct 01, 2013
- When their name appeared in Joss Whedon's new TV show, the environmentalist group Rising Tide took to social media to fight back.
Detroit Bankrupt? Six Ways the Motor City Is Thriving
by Larry Gabrielposted Sep 06, 2013
- National media accounts of Detroit's bankruptcy miss the growing industries, strong communities, and policy changes laying the foundation's for the city's recovery.