It's not democracy without independent media.
The Internet on Strike
by Brooke Jarvisposted Jan 18, 2012
- What happened when major sites went on strike to offer a taste of a censored Internet.
Honest Appalachia: A Local WikiLeaks?
by Sue Sturgisposted Jan 18, 2012
- In a region not known for corporate or political transparency, a new website aims to give whistleblowers a forum.
Occupying the First Amendment
by Josh Stearnsposted Dec 15, 2011
- 220 years after the Bill of Rights, how we’re still fighting for free speech.
How Will Occupy Evolve?
posted Nov 22, 2011
- What’s next for the Occupy movement? Thom Hartmann interviews Sarah van Gelder about the new book, This Changes Everything.
Oakland and After: Lessons from the General Strike
by Gabriel Thompsonposted Nov 03, 2011
- Media reports focus on the few acts of vandalism and violence, but the majority of occupiers at Oakland’s General Strike succeeded in a peaceful shutdown of Oakland’s banks and port.
Mission-Driven Media: The New Landscape in Journalism
posted Jul 22, 2011
- Unlike the corporate media, independent media is unafraid to tell the full story even when doing so threatens the market or those in power.
Community Radio Powers Up
by Oliver Lazenbyposted Jun 15, 2011
- A long-fought-for bill will add diversity to the dial and win back broadcast access for communities.
15 Years of Saying YES!
posted Jun 03, 2011
- Video: 15 years ago, YES! Magazine's founders wondered if, amidst the doom and gloom, there was a place for journalism about hope and possibility. They found their answer.
Exemplary Essay on "Words Matter: How Media Can Build Civility or Destroy It"
by Jana Lockieposted Jun 01, 2011
- Jana Lockie, a student at Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho, read and responded to the YES! Magazine article, "Words Matter: How Media Can Build Civility or Destroy It," by Sarah van Gelder and Brooke Jarvis. Read Jana's essay on how both the media and the public should be responsible for respectful debate.
Sarah van Gelder: 15 Years of YES!
posted May 15, 2011
- Laura Flanders of GritTV interviews Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine.
A Law Against Lying on the News
by Dave Saldanaposted Mar 17, 2011
- First Amendment expert David Saldana: Why Canada has one and the U.S. doesn't.
Wadah Khanfar: Hope for the Arab World
posted Mar 15, 2011
- Video: The head of Al Jazeera shares his hope for the Arab world's new future—and how we can all help it grow.
People We Love: Bradley Manning
posted Mar 11, 2011
- Challenging secrecy with WikiLeaks.
My Antidote to Overwhelm
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 04, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: People ask me, “How do you do it all?” The answer is, I don’t … and there’s a good reason for that.
Danny Glover: The Black Power Mixtape
posted Jan 28, 2011
- Amy Goodman sits down with Danny Glover at the Sundance Film Festival to talk about his new documentary, The Black Power Mixtape.