It's not democracy without independent media.
Five Ways to Reschool on the Interweb
by Melia Dickerposted Aug 14, 2009
- Here are five types of online resources to educate you from the comfort of your couch.
Sarah van Gelder on GRITtv
by Sarah van Gelder, Laura Flandersposted Apr 09, 2009
- YES! Magazine's executive editor and co-founder Sarah van Gelder on why we need news and also solutions.
People We Love :: Tom Steinberg
posted Feb 13, 2009
- Profile of mySociety.org founder Tom Steinberg.
Project Censored 2009
by Kate Simsposted Oct 01, 2008
- Project Censored seeks out the most undercovered stories of the year. In their 2009 edition, they salute YES! as "the standard" for positive stories about change. Here's an excerpt.
WTO Photo Quiz :: 1
by Kevin Sharpposted Aug 04, 2008
- Photographer Kevin Sharp paired his photos of the 1999 event with stills from the new film "Battle in Seattle". You might be surprised by what's real and what's not.
The Battle for Reality
by David Solnitposted Jul 30, 2008
- David Solnit was one of the Direct Action Network organizers for the 1999 WTO demonstrations in Seattle. He looks at what really happened in Seattle, what politicians and the mainstream media have done with the story, and what difference the new movie "Battle in Seattle" might make to public thinking about the 1999 demonstrations.
Media We Can Trust
posted Jul 30, 2008
- The growing number of media outlets, many with a partisan slant, makes the task of finding reliable, unbiased news difficult. NewsTrust is a nonpartisan website that aggregates news articles and rates them based on their journalistic quality.
Carl Pope & Van Jones
by Van Jones, Carl Popeposted Jun 09, 2008
- Carl Pope and Van Jones discuss Environmentalism, New Media, Civil Rights, the Economy
by Jehane Noujaimposted Apr 29, 2008
- View the trailer for Jehane Noujaim's award-winning documentary, Control Room, which examines media coverage of the Iraq War.
Why Positive Journalism Matters
by Sarah van Gelderposted Mar 26, 2008
- Listen to Sarah van Gelder's interview by Chris Vondrasek on KBCS' One World Report: "It is part of our journalistic task—to pay attention to where there is news of successful change."
Signs of Life :: Media
by Jonathan Lawsonposted Feb 08, 2008
- FCC Chair Kevin Martin pushes a decision to allow big media companies to hold combined ownership of newspapers, TV and radio
The People Speak Out at FCC Hearing in Seattle
by Reclaim the Mediaposted Nov 14, 2007
- Fran Korten and Sarah van Gelder speak out against consolidation of media ownership at the November 2007 Seattle FCC hearings
Pirates on the Open Airwaves
by Brooke Jarvisposted Nov 07, 2007
- Low-power transmitters are making local radio accessible to many. Is this pirate radio or is it serving the public interest?
Sarah van Gelder interviewed by Peak Moment TV
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jan 19, 2007
- Janaia Donaldson interviews YES! Magazine Executive Editor, Sarah Van Gelder, on healthcare for all, alternatives to prisons, peak oil, living democracy, climate change, working together, and how each of us can begin creating change.
Community Radio-Radio Community
by Lilja Ottoposted Oct 02, 2006
- A different format for community events, and a recipe for inspiration is now being used by the community radio movement.