Oakland and After: Lessons from the General Strike
by Gabriel ThompsonNov 03, 2011
- Media reports focus on the few acts of vandalism and violence, but the majority of occupiers at Oakland’s General Strike succeeded in a peaceful shutdown of Oakland’s banks and port.
Mission-Driven Media: The New Landscape in Journalism
Jul 22, 2011
- Unlike the corporate media, independent media is unafraid to tell the full story even when doing so threatens the market or those in power.
Community Radio Powers Up
by Oliver LazenbyJun 15, 2011
- A long-fought-for bill will add diversity to the dial and win back broadcast access for communities.
15 Years of Saying YES!
Jun 03, 2011
- Video: 15 years ago, YES! Magazine's founders wondered if, amidst the doom and gloom, there was a place for journalism about hope and possibility. They found their answer.
Sarah van Gelder: 15 Years of YES!
May 15, 2011
- Laura Flanders of GritTV interviews Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine.
A Law Against Lying on the News
by Dave SaldanaMar 17, 2011
- First Amendment expert David Saldana: Why Canada has one and the U.S. doesn't.
Wadah Khanfar: Hope for the Arab World
Mar 15, 2011
- Video: The head of Al Jazeera shares his hope for the Arab world's new future—and how we can all help it grow.
People We Love: Bradley Manning
Mar 11, 2011
- Challenging secrecy with WikiLeaks.
My Antidote to Overwhelm
by Shannon HayesMar 04, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: People ask me, “How do you do it all?” The answer is, I don’t … and there’s a good reason for that.
Danny Glover: The Black Power Mixtape
Jan 28, 2011
- Amy Goodman sits down with Danny Glover at the Sundance Film Festival to talk about his new documentary, The Black Power Mixtape.
The Not-So-Neutral Net
by Jenn EttingerJan 24, 2011
- The FCC’s new rules on Net Neutrality open the Internet to corporate discrimination. But it’s not too late to preserve Internet freedom.
Words Matter: How Media Can Build Civility or Destroy It
by Sarah van Gelder, Brooke JarvisJan 12, 2011
- The media can, as we know, promote fear, hatred, and extremism. Can they also lead us to greater civility and more productive debate?
Organizing in the Internet Age
by Mark EnglerNov 02, 2010
- How online activism can help us understand how real change is made.
Signs of Sanity (and/or Fear)
Nov 01, 2010
- The best sights and signs from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.
A Big Surprise for Chevron
Oct 20, 2010
- Hours before the oil giant released its new ad campaign, the Yes Men released their own version.