It's not democracy without independent media.
15 Years of Saying YES!
posted Jun 03, 2011
- Video: 15 years ago, YES! Magazine's founders wondered if, amidst the doom and gloom, there was a place for journalism about hope and possibility. They found their answer.
Exemplary Essay on "Words Matter: How Media Can Build Civility or Destroy It"
by Jana Lockieposted Jun 01, 2011
- Jana Lockie, a student at Lewis-Clark State College in Lewiston, Idaho, read and responded to the YES! Magazine article, "Words Matter: How Media Can Build Civility or Destroy It," by Sarah van Gelder and Brooke Jarvis. Read Jana's essay on how both the media and the public should be responsible for respectful debate.
Sarah van Gelder: 15 Years of YES!
posted May 15, 2011
- Laura Flanders of GritTV interviews Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and executive editor of YES! Magazine.
A Law Against Lying on the News
by Dave Saldanaposted Mar 17, 2011
- First Amendment expert David Saldana: Why Canada has one and the U.S. doesn't.
Wadah Khanfar: Hope for the Arab World
posted Mar 15, 2011
- Video: The head of Al Jazeera shares his hope for the Arab world's new future—and how we can all help it grow.
People We Love: Bradley Manning
posted Mar 11, 2011
- Challenging secrecy with WikiLeaks.
My Antidote to Overwhelm
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 04, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: People ask me, “How do you do it all?” The answer is, I don’t … and there’s a good reason for that.
Danny Glover: The Black Power Mixtape
posted Jan 28, 2011
- Amy Goodman sits down with Danny Glover at the Sundance Film Festival to talk about his new documentary, The Black Power Mixtape.
The Not-So-Neutral Net
by Jenn Ettingerposted Jan 24, 2011
- The FCC’s new rules on Net Neutrality open the Internet to corporate discrimination. But it’s not too late to preserve Internet freedom.
Words Matter: How Media Can Build Civility or Destroy It
by Sarah van Gelder, Brooke Jarvisposted Jan 12, 2011
- The media can, as we know, promote fear, hatred, and extremism. Can they also lead us to greater civility and more productive debate?
Organizing in the Internet Age
by Mark Englerposted Nov 02, 2010
- How online activism can help us understand how real change is made.
Signs of Sanity (and/or Fear)
posted Nov 01, 2010
- The best sights and signs from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.
A Big Surprise for Chevron
posted Oct 20, 2010
- Hours before the oil giant released its new ad campaign, the Yes Men released their own version.
YES! Magazine Project Censored Awards, 2009-2010
posted Sep 13, 2010
- The year's top underreported stories of hope and creative change.
Framing For Change: How We Tell Our Story Matters
by Doyle Canning, Patrick Reinsboroughposted Aug 19, 2010
- How we tell the story of a better world matters—and the best way is to live the alternatives we advocate.