It's not democracy without independent media.
People We Love: Bradley Manning
posted Mar 11, 2011
- Challenging secrecy with WikiLeaks.
My Antidote to Overwhelm
by Shannon Hayesposted Mar 04, 2011
- Shannon Hayes: People ask me, “How do you do it all?” The answer is, I don’t … and there’s a good reason for that.
Danny Glover: The Black Power Mixtape
posted Jan 28, 2011
- Amy Goodman sits down with Danny Glover at the Sundance Film Festival to talk about his new documentary, The Black Power Mixtape.
The Not-So-Neutral Net
by Jenn Ettingerposted Jan 24, 2011
- The FCC’s new rules on Net Neutrality open the Internet to corporate discrimination. But it’s not too late to preserve Internet freedom.
Words Matter: How Media Can Build Civility or Destroy It
by Sarah van Gelder, Brooke Jarvisposted Jan 12, 2011
- The media can, as we know, promote fear, hatred, and extremism. Can they also lead us to greater civility and more productive debate?
Organizing in the Internet Age
by Mark Englerposted Nov 02, 2010
- How online activism can help us understand how real change is made.
Signs of Sanity (and/or Fear)
posted Nov 01, 2010
- The best sights and signs from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.
A Big Surprise for Chevron
posted Oct 20, 2010
- Hours before the oil giant released its new ad campaign, the Yes Men released their own version.
YES! Magazine Project Censored Awards, 2009-2010
posted Sep 13, 2010
- The year's top underreported stories of hope and creative change.
Framing For Change: How We Tell Our Story Matters
by Doyle Canning, Patrick Reinsboroughposted Aug 19, 2010
- How we tell the story of a better world matters—and the best way is to live the alternatives we advocate.
WikiLeaks: Pentagon Papers 2.0?
by Phyllis Bennisposted Jul 27, 2010
- The WikiLeaks documents tell us what we already knew: This war isn't winnable. Can they help us stop it?
Better Than Facebook?
by David Bollierposted Jun 30, 2010
- Fed up with Facebook's commercialism, four NYU students have created an open source, peer-to-peer alternative: Diaspora.
The Web as Random Acts of Kindness
posted Jun 22, 2010
- Jonathan Zittrain gives reason to hope for the future of the Internet.
Trouble the Water :: Film Trailer
posted May 13, 2010
- Home footage of Hurricane Katrina from 9th Ward resident Kimberly Rivers Roberts goes beyond news coverage, revealing the voices that government kept silent.
Winning the Frame Game
by Fran Kortenposted May 13, 2010
- As our society approaches major transitions ahead, we may welcome or resist the changes … How we react will rest partly on how we frame those changes.