How “we the people” decide what we want, and how we get it.
by Jacob Needlemanposted Jan 31, 2002
- America is an original expression of ideas that have always been part of the great web of Truth. Explicitly and implicitly, the idea of America has resonated with this ancient, timeless wisdom and has allowed something of its power to touch the heart and mind of humanity. We must recover this resonance, this relationship, however tenuous and partial, between the teachings of wisdom and the idea of America.
What Happens To Your Heart
by David Morseposted Jan 31, 2002
- The Campaign of Conscience joins North Americans who oppose the war in Iraq. They organize acts of civil disobedience and continue to provide humanitarian aid to Iraqis.
Ten Things You Can Do To Shape History
by Fran Kortenposted Sep 19, 2001
- A commentary by Fran Korten in response to September 11.
The Hidden Commons
by Jonathan Roweposted Jun 30, 2001
- What is the commons, and how is it valued?
Resource Guide for the Commons
posted Jun 30, 2001
- Organizations, books, websites
Where There's a Way
by Michael M'Gonigleposted Jun 30, 2001
- Where there's a way, by Michael M'Gonigle. Global Trade Agreements are just the latest way local communities are losing control over the surrounding forests and the watersheds. If there was a way to reclaim the commons, might there also be a political will?
Great Commons of the World
by Kari McGinnisposted Jun 30, 2001
- Great commons of the World, by Kari McGinnis. Commons are places where people gather and community blossoms. Examines the qualities that make a good commons and describes some of the best in the world.
Second Chance For Black Farmers
by Carol Estesposted Jun 30, 2001
- A recent class-action suit by black farmers against the USDA fails to stem the loss of land by African American farmers.
Discussion Guide: Reclaiming the Commons
posted Jun 30, 2001
- This guide is designed to provide a starting point for your discussion of some of the issues explored in the Summer 2001 issue of YES! magazine.
The Cornucopia of the Commons
by David Bollierposted Jun 30, 2001
- The Cornucopia of the Commons, by David Bollier. Community gardens, free software, self-help groups, and other examples of how the gift economy fosters community and social cohesion as well as economic innovation.
by Peter Barnesposted Jun 30, 2001
- Sky Trust, by Peter Barnes. Carbon permits could reduce carbon emissions while returning benefits to individuals and rewarding conservation.
The Sound And the Furious
by Corinne Asturiasposted Jun 30, 2001
- The Sound and the Furious, by Corinne Asturias. How silence is good for commons and noise pollution invades every refuge.
Voters Bill of Rights
posted Mar 31, 2001
- How we can make sure the mistakes of the 2000 elections never happen again
by Russell Mokhiber, Robert Weissmanposted Mar 31, 2001
- The myth if compassionate conservatism and the reality of corporate conservatism.
Doing Right By the Planet
by Bill McKibbenposted Mar 31, 2001
- Is President Bush really serious about global warming? Bill McKibben describes what needs to be done.