Robert Reich: 12 Ways to Resist Trump That Only Take an Hour a Day
by Robert ReichJan 09, 2017
- Including making your city a sanctuary, boycotting all Trump products, and reaching out to independents.
Standing Rock and the Return of the Nonviolent Campaign
by George LakeyJan 06, 2017
- There’s something even better than electoral politics and one-off protests when mobilizing citizen power.
Creating an LGBTQIA Safe Space in Rural America
by Kit O’ConnellJan 05, 2017
- Alternative art spaces are critical to establishing connections for queer people, but especially for those living in rural areas, where community is smaller and less supported than in cities.
Nashville Teens Mapped Their Daily Routes—And Got a New Bike Lane as a Result
by Araz HachadourianJan 03, 2017
- In Nashville, Tennessee, and Chicago, city planners are responding to demands for better neighborhood mobility and bicycling infrastructure.
This Small Town Refused to Settle for Wal-Mart When Its Last Local Grocery Store Closed
by Melissa HellmannJan 02, 2017
- After 10 years without an independent grocery store, the residents of Iola, Kansas, found a way to bring one back.
10 Indigenous and Environmental Struggles—And How You Can Help in 2017
by The Indigenous #NoDAPL CoalitionJan 01, 2017
- Whom to call, what to donate, and where to show up.
As a Trump Administration Fast Approaches, Cities and Towns Gear Up for Political Resistance
by Sally NeasDec 29, 2016
- In the years to come, community bills of rights are one strategy to shelter vulnerable populations.
Call for Submissions: “Sanctuary Communities”
by YES! EditorsDec 29, 2016
- Send us your ideas by Jan. 25.
20 Photos: My Seven Months of Living at Standing Rock
by Desiree KaneDec 28, 2016
- The community we have built here has taught many how to live a large-scale sustainable, decolonized, anticapitalist lifestyle.
New Year, New President, and Our Promise
by YES! EditorsDec 27, 2016
- We represent independent journalism. Even in the darkest times, you can depend on us to find the progressive solutions that will heal the planet and improve the lives of the many.
It Wasn’t All Bad: 5 Signs of Positive Change in 2016
by Sarah van GelderDec 27, 2016
- The election divided the year into “before” and “after.” But there remain signs of hope for 2017.
Standing Rock Prepared Us for Trump’s Billionaires and Oil Giants
by Mark TrahantDec 26, 2016
- Continuing to shrink our oil consumption is one way to challenge the oil uber alles mentality of the Trump administration.
How Community Land Trusts Can Fix Detroit’s Foreclosure Mess
by Abigail Savitch-LewDec 23, 2016
- Nearly 1 in 6 properties across the city faced tax foreclosure last year. Land trusts are one way to keep buildings—whether housing or businesses—permanently affordable.
The Team Helping Human-Trafficking Survivors Find Justice—And Jobs
by Daniel RossDec 23, 2016
- The Thai Community Development Center has played a part in some of the most notorious human-trafficking cases in the United States. But unlike other groups, it also helps workers post-liberation.
7 Things the Defund DAPL Campaign Has Achieved So Far (Including $28 Million in Personal Accounts Moved)
by Ari PaulDec 22, 2016
- Public and consumer pressure on banks to quit financing the Dakota Access pipeline companies is producing results.