How “we the people” decide what we want, and how we get it.
by Alan Durningposted Mar 18, 2010
- How reforming the filibuster could pave the way to climate legislation, education funding, and more.
The Growing Movement for Publicly Owned Banks
by Ellen Brownposted Mar 17, 2010
- The momentum toward creating state-owned banks is increasing as more states look for ways to bypass Wall Street, balance their budgets, and get local economies moving.
A Second Opinion on Health Care
by Ken Fabertposted Mar 15, 2010
- In medicine, it's a time-honored tactic to obtain a second opinion if the diagnosis is unclear or if the therapy isn't working. Physician Ken Fabert went to New Zealand to experience another possible way of providing health care to America's uninsured.
Iceland Busts the Banksters
by John Nicholsposted Mar 10, 2010
- In a symbolic decision, democracy trumps capital as Icelanders say "no" to big bank bailouts.
Across Race Lines
posted Mar 09, 2010
- Sarah van Gelder discusses "America: The Remix," YES! Magazine's Spring 2010 issue.
Financial Transactions Tax: A Little Tax on the Big Casino
by Tanya Dawkinsposted Mar 09, 2010
- The Center for Economic and Policy Research estimates that an FTT of only one-half of one percent would generate at least $60 billion to $100 billion dollars in the United States alone.
Haitian Women Mourn the Dead, Recommit to the Living
by Beverly Bellposted Mar 08, 2010
- In Haiti, International Women's Day is a reminder of what women have done and are still doing to keep hope alive.
Living in Borrowed Times
by Chuck Collinsposted Mar 05, 2010
- In common security clubs around the country, participants wrestle with the questions: What does it mean to live in these “borrowed times?” How do we prepare ourselves and our communities for the economic transitions ahead?
The Oscar for Best Voting System Goes To...
by Rob Richieposted Mar 05, 2010
- There's a new method for choosing Best Picture this year: instant runoff voting, a system that would also make political elections more fair.
US Social Forum: Forging Alliances, a Movement of Movements
by Ashlee Greenposted Mar 04, 2010
- Organizers expect more than 25,000 when the second United States Social Forum meets June 22–26, 2010, in Detroit.
What White People Fear
by Robert Jensenposted Mar 04, 2010
- A white guy confesses his fears and tells why he seeks out settings beyond his comfort zone.
What Do You Say to a Screaming Bigot?
by Madeline Ostranderposted Mar 04, 2010
- How Pramila Jayapal of OneAmerica finds the courage to take the immigration dialogue to talk radio.
A New Generation Builds Beyond Racism
by Rob "Biko" Bakerposted Mar 04, 2010
- Youth take the promise of Obama and put it into practice.
Becoming a Whole Nation
by Sarah van Gelderposted Mar 04, 2010
- Sarah van Gelder introduces the Spring 2010 issue of YES! Magazine: There are some extraordinary people working to make a vision of a just, inclusive society a reality ...
Faith Adiele: My Life in Black and White
posted Mar 04, 2010
- Why memoir is the ultimate multicultural act.