A Requiem for Detroit?
by Grace Lee BoggsMay 12, 2010
- A new documentary illustrates a different kind of American Dream taking hold in Detroit.
Transforming Space Into Place
May 12, 2010
- Video: Is the shortest distance between two points all that life is about? City Repair doesn't think so. They're helping people imagine and create lively public spaces—starting with your local intersection.
City Repair in Action
May 12, 2010
- Photo essay: City Repair helps people organize, design, and implement new, people-friendly visions for their communities—and reclaim the notion of “neighborhood” in the process. Here’s a collection of their best work.
Building the World We Want: Interview with Mark Lakeman
by Brooke JarvisMay 12, 2010
- Interview with the co-founder of the City Repair Project, a Portland group that helps neighbors turn public spaces into gathering places.
The Village Building Convergence
May 12, 2010
- Portland, Ore. is the home of the Village Building Convergence, an annual event that draws on the power and creativity of neighbors to build the places they'd like to live.
Neighbors for a New Economy
by Chuck CollinsMay 05, 2010
- In Greenfield, Mass., a group of neighbors have formed a support group to face their changing world.
Making a Difference Makes You Happy
by Tim KasserMay 05, 2010
- A series of studies find that activism brings pleasant emotions, greater life satisfaction, and more experiences of freedom, competence, and connection to others.
New Challenges for Community Clinics
by Tom David, Jane Elizabeth StaffordMay 04, 2010
- Now that a version of health care reform has passed, what will happen to the institutions that have helped the poor and uninsured cope: community clinics and health centers?
Afghanistan: Should We Stay or Should We Go?
by Mark EnglerMay 04, 2010
- The time has come for a U.S. exit strategy in Afghanistan. But is "Out Now" a valid response? David Wildman, Sunita Viswanath, and Lorelei Kelly discuss how can we best support Afghan national stability.
Beyond Us and Them
by Sheikh Jamal RahmanApr 30, 2010
- Very often, what we dislike in others is something that we need to acknowledge, heal, integrate, and empower in ourselves.
Of Wind Farms and Oil Spills
by Scott GastApr 29, 2010
- On Wednesday, the news headlines offered a stark comparison between two possible futures for energy production in America.
Cochabamba’s Message: Let the People Speak
by Janet RedmanApr 29, 2010
- The World People's Summit broke new ground by allowing those most affected by a changing climate the chance to speak out about their ideas for just solutions.
Bill McKibben's Message to Cochabamba
Apr 28, 2010
- The author addresses the thousands who gathered in Cochabamba for the World People's Summit on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth.
Fix the Economy, Not Wall Street
by David KortenApr 28, 2010
- Would-be Wall Street regulators aren't asking the right question: How do we create a financial services sector that directs money where it is actually needed?
Making Sense of the 2010 Census
by Jing FongApr 28, 2010
- Who is America? This bundle of lesson plans and activities will help your students understand the basics of the every-decade census and why they should care about what’s at stake.