How “we the people” decide what we want, and how we get it.
The Inuit of Nunavut :: Photo Essay
by John Hasynposted Jul 29, 2008
- John Hasyn's photo essay on daily life among the Inuit of Nunavut, in northern Canada.
5 Ways to Make History
by Fran Kortenposted Jul 02, 2008
- Elections aren’t until November. But the heart of the process is going on right now. Here are my top 5 ideas for making a difference—and staying sane—in the coming months.
This Brave Nation Series:
posted Jun 23, 2008
- A remarkable series co-produced by The Nation magazine and Brave New Foundation, which brings together inspiring activists from different movements and generations, to discuss their ideas, ideals, and approaches to changing the world.
Carl Pope & Van Jones
by Van Jones, Carl Popeposted Jun 09, 2008
- Carl Pope and Van Jones discuss Environmentalism, New Media, Civil Rights, the Economy
DIY Foreign Policy Heroes
posted Jun 06, 2008
- Think foreign policy is just for politicians? These people can change your mind.
How to Join the Family of Nations
by Sarah van Gelderposted May 22, 2008
- Nearly two out of three Americans believe U.S. relations with the rest of the world are on the wrong track. That doesn’t have to be bad news, though. The Summer 2008 issue of YES! shows the people turning that around: voting for peace in their city or town, supporting Iraq veterans, and starting conversations with your neighbors about how to create a just world.
From the Publisher :: America Can Change
by Fran Kortenposted May 22, 2008
- With enough citizen understanding and action, America can change. Were you one of the millions deeply moved by Barack Obama’s March 18 speech from Philadelphia? He supported his optimism with a fierce faith in this country, saying “What we know, what we have seen, is that America can change—that is the true genius of this nation.”
YES! Film Picks: Making Whiteness Visible
by Carol Estesposted May 22, 2008
- Maddening and motivating independent films: Mirrors of Privilege, Abel Raises Cain and Pilgrimage.
People We Love :: Ava Lowery
posted May 22, 2008
- Ava Lowery launched peacetakescourage.com, a website showcasing her homemade antiwar videos.
Signs of Life :: Corporations
by Margit Christenson, Madeline Ostranderposted May 22, 2008
- Towns Rein in Corporate Power; Exxon Faces Court Challenges
Signs of Life :: Elections
by Noah Grantposted May 22, 2008
- States Back the Popular Vote
Aidan Delgado, Conscientious Objector
posted May 22, 2008
- The Sutras of Abu Ghraib is the story of Aidan Delgado’s journey towards conscientious objector status. This excerpt is a meditation on how easy it is to distance ourselves from the devastation of war-making.
Raiding the War Chest
by Miriam Pembertonposted May 22, 2008
- It’s called “defense” spending, but how much of it is actually about defense? Here’s how we could save billions, and still have billions left to make the U.S. and the world more secure.
Respecting Our Neighbors to the South
by Nadia Martinezposted May 22, 2008
- For years, the U.S. imposed authoritarian leaders and corporate-friendly policies on Latin American countries. Now they are setting their own path.
How Iran Could Help the United States
by Robert Naimanposted May 22, 2008
- Instead of bombing Iran, we could draw on that nation to collaborate in winning the peace for the entire region, by Robert Naiman.