How “we the people” decide what we want, and how we get it.
IPS Report :: A Just Security
posted Apr 30, 2008
- The YES! editors worked closely with members of the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) in producing this issue. Here is background on IPS and a link to their full report: Just Security :: An Alternative Foreign Policy Framework.
Audio: Swim Against the Current
by Jim Hightowerposted Apr 30, 2008
- Listen to Jim Hightower read an excerpt of Chapter 14 of his book Swim Against the Current.
FALLOUT: Coming Home From the War in Iraq
by Ava Loweryposted Apr 30, 2008
- A short film by Ava Lowery about the war in Iraq and its effects on our returning troops. Pro-war or anti-war, we should all take the time to listen to what our returning troops have to say.
by Jehane Noujaimposted Apr 29, 2008
- View the trailer for Jehane Noujaim's award-winning documentary, Control Room, which examines media coverage of the Iraq War.
Why Positive Journalism Matters
by Sarah van Gelderposted Mar 26, 2008
- Listen to Sarah van Gelder's interview by Chris Vondrasek on KBCS' One World Report: "It is part of our journalistic task—to pay attention to where there is news of successful change."
Jon Warnow :: Brower Youth Awards
posted Mar 10, 2008
- Listen to Jon's energetic acceptance speech as he invites all of us to “step outside our comfort zones” and remake our world.
Signs of Life :: Media
by Jonathan Lawsonposted Feb 08, 2008
- FCC Chair Kevin Martin pushes a decision to allow big media companies to hold combined ownership of newspapers, TV and radio
YES! Picks :: Argentina, Turning Around
by Melissa Young, Mark Dworkinposted Feb 04, 2008
- From the producers of "Argentina: Hope in Hard Times" comes this intimate view of the new models of work, politics and community development that are now underway, as people re-invent their society to offer a better life for all.
People We Love :: Erica Fernandez
posted Feb 03, 2008
- 16 year-old Erica Fernandez received a 2007 Brower Youth award for her campaign to stop the building of a liquefied natural gas plant.
Signs of Life :: Voting
by Edward Hailesposted Feb 03, 2008
- Activists lead successful legal campaigns to stop laws in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Maryland that discourage voting and voter registration
Teacher as Cultural Broker
by Jane Daltonposted Feb 01, 2008
- Understanding and interpreting the cultures of second language learners in our schools is growing increasingly difficult as our student population becomes more diverse. Jane Dalton reports on a weeklong renewal seminar at the North Carolina Center for the Advancement of Teaching (NCCAT), where teachers were introduced to the culture of Latino and Hispanic students.
Youth Feel the Power
by Shadia Fayne Woodposted Feb 01, 2008
- Young people are creating the Youth Climate Movement, the Campus Climate Challenge, PowerShift 2007 and more, organizing to create a future that they will be living in.
Top 10 Youth Activism Victories in 2007
by Nicole McClelland, Kristina Rizgaposted Jan 28, 2008
- From shutting down toxic waste facilities to making colleges more affordable, young people all over America put their energies into remarkable actions for their communities, and for the world.
Vote Hope 2008 :6: Rep. Barbara Lee
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jan 03, 2008
- Where are the opportunities for real change in the 2008 election? Barbara Lee talks about the need to get more progressive members of Congress, and her OneVoicePAC.
Vote Hope 2008 :5: Chris Hedges
by Sarah van Gelder, Chris Hedgesposted Jan 03, 2008
- Where are the opportunities for real change in the 2008 election? Chris Hedges talks about mass media and the need to address the personal and economic despair.