A Turning Point for Mountaintop Removal?
by Sandra DiazJan 14, 2011
- In an historic move, the EPA has vetoed a permit for mountaintop removal mining in West Virginia.
Words Matter: How Media Can Build Civility or Destroy It
by Sarah van Gelder, Brooke JarvisJan 12, 2011
- The media can, as we know, promote fear, hatred, and extremism. Can they also lead us to greater civility and more productive debate?
Diary of a Disaster: 6 Months in the Gulf
by Riki OttJan 11, 2011
- What it’s like to respond to an environmental and democratic crisis—and where we go from here.
The YES! No Impact Diary: Day 8
Jan 10, 2011
- The first 7 days of the No Impact Experiment were as difficult as they were illuminating. Sunday's eco-sabbath was for reflecting on what it all means.
In Memory of Judy Bonds
by Robert ShetterlyJan 10, 2011
- Artist Robert Shetterly remembers a coal miner's daughter who took on the coal industry.
Rewriting the “Tragedy of the Commons”
by Bill McKibbenJan 10, 2011
- We've been privatizing our way to disaster. It's time to chart a new course.
The YES! No Impact Diary: Day 7
Jan 09, 2011
- Our No Impact Week participants make a different sort of impact: giving back.
The YES! No Impact Diary: Day 6
Jan 08, 2011
- Water is life—and the challenge of using less of it really hit home. Check in with our participants on how they confronted their water footprints.
The YES! No Impact Diary: Day 5
Jan 07, 2011
- You've laid off the lights and turned down the heat. How are you staying warm?
Olubunmi Blogs on No Impact Week
by Olubunmi IsholaJan 07, 2011
- Olubunmi Ishola is a No Impact skeptic, but she's willing to see if the experiment can prove her wrong.
Mountain Memories: Interview with Judy Bonds
by Taylor Lee KirklandJan 07, 2011
- West Virginia activist Judy Bonds died of cancer this week. Before she died, she gave this interview about fighting to save her home from mountaintop removal coal mining.
Kathy Blogs on No Impact Week
by Kathy KottarasJan 06, 2011
- Mother, teacher, and eco-pilgrim Kathy Kottaras' lyrical take on the inner adventure of going No Impact.
The YES! No Impact Diary: Day 4
Jan 06, 2011
- You've completed Wednesday's food experiment and are halfway through No Impact Week: Our participants step up to the challenge of going local.
Grace Blogs on No Impact Week
by Grace PorterJan 05, 2011
- Grace Porter is going it alone as the sole student at Bainbridge High School to take on the No Impact Week challenge.
Send Us Your No Impact Week Photos!
Jan 05, 2011
- We'll be selecting the top ones for a No Impact Week slideshow and a chance to win a subscription to YES!