350 :: The Most Important Number in the World
by Bill McKibbenOct 15, 2009
- From Mount Everest to the Maldives, people worldwide are turning an arcane number into a movement for a stable climate. Bill McKibben asks: Will you join them?
8 Years of War—And What Do We Get?
by Jo ComerfordOct 13, 2009
- The skyrocketing costs and casualties of the war in Afghanistan should make us re-evaluate our national priorities and broaden our definition of security.
International Youth: Fired Up About Climate Change
by Richard GravesOct 07, 2009
- The generations who will inherit the burden of global warming want bold environmental leadership, responsible climate policies, and green jobs.
No Impact Man's Advice for Making a Difference
by Colin BeavanOct 06, 2009
- Colin Beavan says he had to give up asking questions about whether he could really help or not, and whether he would do it right. He had to stop checking and instead trust his own gut.
Students Stand Up to Coal
by Nick EngelfriedSep 30, 2009
- College students across the country are working to eject coal from their campuses and their communities.
In Search of Care :: International Adventures in Public Health
by Michael FoxSep 29, 2009
- Michael Fox has sought medical care in more than a dozen countries. One of them stands out as the most difficult place to get treatment: his native United States.
One World, One Web
by Nathaniel JamesSep 24, 2009
- On OneWebDay, people worldwide celebrate the democratizing power of the Internet by working to give everyone fast, affordable access to the Web.
Zelaya's Return Creates Pivotal Moment for Democracy in the Americas
by Lisa Gale GarriguesSep 24, 2009
- This moment mirrors back to us our own collective vacillation between fear and hope, between change by autocracy and gunfire on one side, and change by the democratic process on the other.
7 Ways to Support Iranian Democracy
by Mary ArmstrongSep 23, 2009
- Democratic reforms are up to the Iranian people. But we can offer support and friendship as Iran takes its own brave steps toward freedom.
The Poor as Customers?
Sep 18, 2009
- John Harvey reviews Michael Edwards' Just Another Emperor? The Myths and Realities of Philantrocapitalism
Push Back Against Big Money
by Fran KortenSep 18, 2009
- No matter how hard we worked during the 2008 election, our voice, our presence, our money is even more important now.
Weapons of Mass Democracy
by Stephen ZunesSep 16, 2009
- Here’s evidence that nonviolence is the most powerful tool to promote democracy and overthrow tyranny.
Advertisers Pull Support from Glenn Beck
by Susie ShuttsSep 12, 2009
- Petition convinces companies to dissociate themselves from 'racially divisive' rhetoric.
The Power of "Why?"
by Andrea Batista SchlesingerSep 09, 2009
- Students in Hampton, Virginia, and Brooklyn, New York, learn that asking questions is more powerful than memorizing answers.
Teens Talk to 90-Somethings
by Sean RoseSep 09, 2009
- Teens in Rabun County, Georgia, are tapping into the memories of 90-year-olds in an effort to protect the culture of southern Appalachia.