YES! Magazine Project Censored Awards, 2009-2010
Sep 13, 2010
- The year's top underreported stories of hope and creative change.
Interfaith Amigos: On 9/11, Getting Beyond Religious Hatred
by Rabbi Ted Falcon, Pastor Don Mackenzie, Sheikh Jamal RahmanSep 10, 2010
- Brought together by the events of 9/11, three friends from different faiths reflect on what it will take to reach the other side of hatred.
Signs of Life :: Fall 2010
Sep 10, 2010
- Small stories about big change
Quotes from the Quran and from Rumi
by Sarah Van GelderSep 09, 2010
- Interested in what Muslim sacred texts actually say? Here's a short selection of quotes recommend by Jamal Rahman.
Eight Ways to Confront Extremism on 9/11
by Sarah van GelderSep 09, 2010
- How to further tolerance and healing on this September 11th, an especially important time to speak up.
Raise My Taxes, Please
by Naomi SobelSep 09, 2010
- Why one wealthy American wants the Bush tax cuts to expire and the estate tax to be reinstated.
Vandana Shiva: Alternatives to Monsanto in India
Sep 09, 2010
- Video: Vandana Shiva explains the effect of GMOs on Indian agriculture—and how to promote home-grown alternatives.
10 Resilient Ideas
Sep 09, 2010
- Ideas for building resilience from communities across the country–from a hand-made house to rooftop beekeeping.
California Ballot on Global Warming Solutions
by Lynsi BurtonSep 09, 2010
- Citizens argue that generating jobs shouldn't mean derailing climate action.
Students Score Victory for Honduran Workers
by Valerie SchloredtSep 09, 2010
- How the "Just Pay It!" campaign on college campuses leveraged $1.5 million for Nike garment workers.
Maryland Protects Student Info From Recruiters
by Pat ElderSep 09, 2010
- Graduating high school students with increasingly grim job prospects are vulnerable to recruitment tactics. A new law limits military access to student data.
Canada-to-Texas Pipeline Plans Draw Criticism
by Laura KaliebeSep 09, 2010
- Activists and residents along the 2,000-mile proposed route fear damage to farming, ecosystems, and water from the transport of what has been called the world's dirtiest source of transportation energy.
Canada Extends Conservation Area to Seafloor
by Kristin KolbSep 09, 2010
- Victory in the 25-year struggle to protect the "Galapagos of the North"–from mountain tops to the bottom of the sea.
Resilient Ideas: Return of the Mercantile
by Tiffany RanSep 09, 2010
- How a small town in Wyoming replaced a dying downtown with a community-owned shopping hub.
We Need Your Ideas: A Call for Direct Action in the Climate Movement
by Bill McKibben, Phil Radford, Becky TarbottonSep 08, 2010
- An open letter from the Rainforest Action Network, Greenpeace USA, and 350.org: What will it take to finally get serious about climate change?