4 Positive, Practical Steps for Responding to Citizens United
by Riki OttJan 22, 2010
- How should true patriots respond to the expansion of corporate power?
We're Not Done Yet
Jan 22, 2010
- Video: Copenhagen may have been an official failure, but for a new generation of climate activists, it was transformative.
by Thomas Linzey, Mari MargilJan 21, 2010
- Pro-democracy groups are mobilizing against a Supreme Court decision that will allow corporations to funnel money directly to candidates for federal office.
Are Corporations People?
Jan 21, 2010
- Video: The Supreme Court has granted private for-profit corporations the right to contribute unlimited funds to political campaigns. What can citizens do to protect democracy?
Year One: How Did Obama Do on Foreign Policy?
by John FefferJan 20, 2010
- The Obama administration banned torture and worked toward nuclear disarmament... but also escalated U.S. military operations. John Feffer gives it a C minus.
Turning Back the Doomsday Clock
by Joe CopelandJan 19, 2010
- The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists says the world is at a turning point when it comes to tackling nuclear war and climate change, "the two gravest threats to civilization."
Between Overworked and Out of Work
by Dean BakerJan 15, 2010
- Giving employers incentives to offer paid time off would boost employment, stimulate the economy, and help the U.S. move toward a healthier life-work balance.
The Power of Nonviolent Movements
by Bryan FarrellJan 14, 2010
- Anti-nuclear activist Jonathan Schell offers motivation and tactical advice to the new generation of climate activists.
Obama Needs Our Help
by Jonathan RoweJan 14, 2010
- Jonathan Rowe: With presidents constrained by forces we can’t even see, the story of presidential achievement is in large measure the story of the movements that make action possible.
Move Your Money
Jan 13, 2010
- Move Your Money is a growing national movement to switch money out of big, national banks and into local, community banks. A video paralleling "It's a Wonderful Life" promotes the campaign.
Reaping the Dividends of Reduced Emissions
by Mike SandlerJan 13, 2010
- California residents stand to gain a lot from the state's efforts to cap greenhouse gases: less pollution, greener infrastructure, and a yearly check in the mailbox.
What You Can Do to Help Haiti
by Sarah van GelderJan 13, 2010
- The best options for helping the Haitian people recover from the devastating January 12 earthquake.
"Regulators Should No Longer Ignore Rigorous Science"
by Sandra DiazJan 11, 2010
- In a broad new study, scientists conclude that the impacts of mountaintop removal are "pervasive and irreversible."
Transition Albany: A Local Response to Climate Change
by Pamela O'Malley ChangJan 06, 2010
- Meet Catherine Sutton, the initiator of Transition Albany—the effort of a 1.7-square-mile California town (population 16,500+) to transform itself into a self-reliant and resilient community.
EPA Implements Mandatory Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule
by Rik LangendoenJan 06, 2010
- An EPA rule requiring large polluters to report greenhouse gases went into effect December 29, 2009.