People We Love :: Ava Lowery
May 22, 2008
- Ava Lowery launched peacetakescourage.com, a website showcasing her homemade antiwar videos.
Signs of Life :: Corporations
by Margit Christenson, Madeline OstranderMay 22, 2008
- Towns Rein in Corporate Power; Exxon Faces Court Challenges
Signs of Life :: Elections
by Noah GrantMay 22, 2008
- States Back the Popular Vote
Aidan Delgado, Conscientious Objector
May 22, 2008
- The Sutras of Abu Ghraib is the story of Aidan Delgado’s journey towards conscientious objector status. This excerpt is a meditation on how easy it is to distance ourselves from the devastation of war-making.
Raiding the War Chest
by Miriam PembertonMay 22, 2008
- It’s called “defense” spending, but how much of it is actually about defense? Here’s how we could save billions, and still have billions left to make the U.S. and the world more secure.
Respecting Our Neighbors to the South
by Nadia MartinezMay 22, 2008
- For years, the U.S. imposed authoritarian leaders and corporate-friendly policies on Latin American countries. Now they are setting their own path.
How Iran Could Help the United States
by Robert NaimanMay 22, 2008
- Instead of bombing Iran, we could draw on that nation to collaborate in winning the peace for the entire region, by Robert Naiman.
Candidates for Congress Show the Way Out
by Erik LeaverMay 22, 2008
- The 2006 mid-term election sent a clear signal: Americans want out of Iraq. As the occupation drags on, 10 candidates for the U.S. Congress announce a plan to bring all the troops home.
Family Reunions Build Bridges to Cuba
by Elizabeth CerejidoMay 22, 2008
- If there’s one thing Cubans in Miami share with compatriots in Cuba, it’s a desire to travel freely—especially to visit family. Lifting the U.S. travel ban could open all kinds of doors.
Africa’s Own Needs Should Come First
by Emira WoodsMay 22, 2008
- Rising prices make African oil a tempting prize. But African leaders are resisting U.S. plans to militarize the continent, saying their resources should be used to alleviate poverty.
A Real Pro-Israel Policy Helps Palestine, Too
by Stephen ZunesMay 22, 2008
- Stephen Zunes, in A Real Pro-Israel Policy Helps Palestine, Too argues that we could adopt a real pro-Israel policy, that is also a pro-Palestine and pro-peace.
The Way to a Just Foreign Policy
by John FefferMay 22, 2008
- It’s time to leave behind old ideas of superpowers. A changing world brings new opportunities for peace and the chance to join a community of nations.
Students Against Sweatshops
May 19, 2008
Emira Woods :: Valentines Against Liberian Debt
May 19, 2008
- On Valentine’s Day 2007, 10,000 cards flooded the U.S. Treasury Department offices, each bearing the phrase, “Have a heart—drop Liberia’s debt.”
A Just Foreign Policy Discussion Guide
by Noah GrantMay 12, 2008
- We can continue to assert our military and economic dominance, or we can work with other countries to tackle issues like global warming and ultimately create a more secure world.