How “we the people” decide what we want, and how we get it.
Where There's a Way
by Michael M'Gonigleposted Jun 30, 2001
- Where there's a way, by Michael M'Gonigle. Global Trade Agreements are just the latest way local communities are losing control over the surrounding forests and the watersheds. If there was a way to reclaim the commons, might there also be a political will?
Great Commons of the World
by Kari McGinnisposted Jun 30, 2001
- Great commons of the World, by Kari McGinnis. Commons are places where people gather and community blossoms. Examines the qualities that make a good commons and describes some of the best in the world.
Second Chance For Black Farmers
by Carol Estesposted Jun 30, 2001
- A recent class-action suit by black farmers against the USDA fails to stem the loss of land by African American farmers.
Discussion Guide: Reclaiming the Commons
posted Jun 30, 2001
- This guide is designed to provide a starting point for your discussion of some of the issues explored in the Summer 2001 issue of YES! magazine.
The Cornucopia of the Commons
by David Bollierposted Jun 30, 2001
- The Cornucopia of the Commons, by David Bollier. Community gardens, free software, self-help groups, and other examples of how the gift economy fosters community and social cohesion as well as economic innovation.
by Peter Barnesposted Jun 30, 2001
- Sky Trust, by Peter Barnes. Carbon permits could reduce carbon emissions while returning benefits to individuals and rewarding conservation.
The Sound And the Furious
by Corinne Asturiasposted Jun 30, 2001
- The Sound and the Furious, by Corinne Asturias. How silence is good for commons and noise pollution invades every refuge.
Voters Bill of Rights
posted Mar 31, 2001
- How we can make sure the mistakes of the 2000 elections never happen again
by Russell Mokhiber, Robert Weissmanposted Mar 31, 2001
- The myth if compassionate conservatism and the reality of corporate conservatism.
Doing Right By the Planet
by Bill McKibbenposted Mar 31, 2001
- Is President Bush really serious about global warming? Bill McKibben describes what needs to be done.
State of the Possible
by Fran Kortenposted Mar 31, 2001
- Practical idealists from diverse movements and perspectives consider the possibilities for transformational change at State of the Possible retreats sponsored by Positive Futures Network.
Corporate Democracy, Civic Disrespect
by James Galbraithposted Mar 31, 2001
- Why america has gone from a constitutional republic to a corporate democracy and what to do about it.
The Nexxt Revolutionaries
by Shannon Serviceposted Oct 27, 2000
- the nexxt revolutionaries, by Shannon Service. Stories of youth activists and their campaigns for the earth, for justice, and against globalization.
Veterans of Hope: Ruby Sales
by Ruby Salesposted Oct 27, 2000
- In this Veterans of Hope interview, Ruby Sales tells of her release from prison in Haneyville, Alabama, where she and Jonathan Daniels, a white seminarian, had been registering people to vote.
by Richard Heinbergposted Oct 27, 2000
- Innovation, insight, and knowledge from the 20th century could inspire social transformation in the 21st.