People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Boat-to-Table Fishing CSAs Catching On
by Ellen Tyler, Daniel Firesideposted Nov 14, 2010
- Do you know who your fisherman is?
7 Ways to Transform Banking
by Fran Kortenposted Nov 11, 2010
- Each of us can help build a resilient financial system that will serve real people in real communities.
After the Campaign Cash, the Backlash
by Brooke Jarvisposted Nov 04, 2010
- The 2010 midterm elections—the first since Citizens United opened the floodgates to corporate campaign cash—were the most expensive in history. So what happens next?
Will the Real Voice of Small Business Please Stand Up?
by Stacy Mitchellposted Nov 02, 2010
- Small businesses and local chambers are distancing themselves from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s politics.
Pennsylvania Township Declares Freedom from Fracking
by Mari Margil, Ben Priceposted Oct 27, 2010
- Licking, Pennsylvania defies state law by banning corporations from dumping fracking wastewater.
Slavery Goes Public
by Christa Hillstromposted Oct 21, 2010
- Are the products you buy tainted by slavery and child labor? A new California law can help you find out.
A Big Surprise for Chevron
posted Oct 20, 2010
- Hours before the oil giant released its new ad campaign, the Yes Men released their own version.
Making Sense of the Foreclosure Mess
by Doug Pibelposted Oct 13, 2010
- Why are mortgage holders suspending foreclosures? And what will happen to homeowners?
How We Brought Down a Dictator
by Bryan Farrell, Eric Stonerposted Oct 07, 2010
- 10 years later: A conversation with Srdja Popovic, a leader in the the nonviolent overthrow of Slobodan Milosevic.
In Kenya, Farmers Grow Their Own Way
by Heather Day, Travis Englishposted Oct 04, 2010
- Thousands of grassroots, African-led efforts are building locally rooted alternatives to the chemical agriculture promoted by the Gates Foundation and Monsanto.
Appalachia Rising for a New Economy
by Brooke Jarvisposted Sep 28, 2010
- Appalachian residents are serious about putting a stop to mountaintop removal coal mining—and building a more sustainable economy to take its place.
Corporations Ain’t People: A Musical Protest
posted Sep 14, 2010
- Video: GLEE-inspired activism for a democracy run by human beings, not corporations.
California Ballot on Global Warming Solutions
by Lynsi Burtonposted Sep 09, 2010
- Citizens argue that generating jobs shouldn't mean derailing climate action.
Students Score Victory for Honduran Workers
by Valerie Schloredtposted Sep 09, 2010
- How the "Just Pay It!" campaign on college campuses leveraged $1.5 million for Nike garment workers.
Canada-to-Texas Pipeline Plans Draw Criticism
by Laura Kaliebeposted Sep 09, 2010
- Activists and residents along the 2,000-mile proposed route fear damage to farming, ecosystems, and water from the transport of what has been called the world's dirtiest source of transportation energy.