People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Crude :: Film Trailer
posted Feb 11, 2010
- What is the real price of oil? This 2009 documentary investigates the $27 billion class action environmental lawsuit against Chevron for pollution.
First "Corporate Person" Runs for Political Office
by Brooke Jarvisposted Feb 01, 2010
- To show how ludicrous an idea is, sometimes you have to take it seriously.
10 Ways to Stop Corporate Dominance of Politics
by Fran Kortenposted Jan 25, 2010
- The recent Supreme Court decision to allow unlimited corporate spending in politics just may be the straw that breaks the plutocracy’s back.
4 Positive, Practical Steps for Responding to Citizens United
by Riki Ottposted Jan 22, 2010
- How should true patriots respond to the expansion of corporate power?
by Thomas Linzey, Mari Margilposted Jan 21, 2010
- Pro-democracy groups are mobilizing against a Supreme Court decision that will allow corporations to funnel money directly to candidates for federal office.
Are Corporations People?
posted Jan 21, 2010
- Video: The Supreme Court has granted private for-profit corporations the right to contribute unlimited funds to political campaigns. What can citizens do to protect democracy?
Nine Ways Our World Changed During the '00s
by Sarah van Gelderposted Dec 30, 2009
- Corporations get still more powerful. A middle-class living slips away from millions. Climate change becomes deadly. War, and more war. Looking back on the '00s (uh ohs) and the nine trends that changed our world.
Why Annie Leonard is Right About Cap-and-Trade
by Peter Barnesposted Dec 28, 2009
- The real question isn’t why Annie Leonard questions cap-and-trade; it’s why all environmentalists don’t support Cantwell-Collins.
Tsunami Survivors Fight for Land Rights
by Robert Reynoldsposted Dec 26, 2009
- In Thailand, the Indian Ocean tsunami allowed resort developers to push indigenous coastal communities off their land. Villages are fighting back--and winning legal rights to their homes.
Was Lehman So Long Ago?
by Robert Weissmanposted Dec 16, 2009
- While the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act makes some positive strides, what's really needed is a popular uprising for stronger regulation.
Activists Wrangle Forest Victories from Corporations
by Laura Kaliebeposted Dec 15, 2009
- Fierce pressure from activists has led several major corporations to change purchasing practices linked to deforestation.
7 Ways the Battle of Seattle Changed the World
by Fran Kortenposted Dec 01, 2009
- Ten years later, the protests of 1999 are still having an impact.
The "Battle in Seattle" at 10
by Mark Englerposted Nov 30, 2009
- WTO+10: Did the 1999 protests against the World Trade Organization actually make a difference?
Buy Nothing Day
by Berit Andersonposted Nov 25, 2009
- A non-holiday founded by a Vancouver office worker has become an international movement.
Waking Up to the Dangers of "Free Trade"
by Fran Kortenposted Nov 25, 2009
- WTO+10: When Fran Korten first started warning people about NAFTA, many had never heard of it. But the 1999 protests in Seattle showed that Americans were learning what many in the developing world had known for years: free trade agreements are not just esoteric rules about what goods can cross borders. They are about who rules—corporations or people.