People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Citizens United: People Strike Back
by Riki Ott, David Cobbposted Apr 16, 2010
- How states and people are mobilizing to defend democracy.
5 Ways to Stand Up for Fairer Taxes
by Chuck Collinsposted Apr 12, 2010
- How can we protect public services while stopping the "Great Tax Shift" from corporations and the wealthy to the middle class and small businesses?
Move Your Money and Save
by Stacy Mitchellposted Apr 07, 2010
- Big banks don't just undermine local economies—they're bad for your wallet, too.
Goodbye, Granny D
by Rob Richieposted Mar 22, 2010
- Remembering the inspiring life of Doris Haddock, a great-grandmother from New Hampshire who decided, at age 88, to take a stand (and a very long walk) to protect democracy.
Iceland Busts the Banksters
by John Nicholsposted Mar 10, 2010
- In a symbolic decision, democracy trumps capital as Icelanders say "no" to big bank bailouts.
Drafting Nature's Constitution
posted Mar 02, 2010
- Video: Simply regulating pollution will never really stop it. Mari Margil of the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund discusses why we need a fundamental change in the way we use law to protect nature.
The Power of Local
by Jeff Milchenposted Feb 18, 2010
- Through mutual support and community education, independent businesses are finding ways to promote local economies and even outperform chains.
A Prairie Populist Leaves the Senate
by Jonathan Roweposted Feb 16, 2010
- Byron Dorgan was a champion of workers and farmers and an early opponent of deregulating the banking industry.
World Economic Forum, Take Two
by Brooke Jarvisposted Feb 12, 2010
- Prankster filmmakers found a way to make business and political leaders say all the right things.
Crude :: Film Trailer
posted Feb 11, 2010
- What is the real price of oil? This 2009 documentary investigates the $27 billion class action environmental lawsuit against Chevron for pollution.
First "Corporate Person" Runs for Political Office
by Brooke Jarvisposted Feb 01, 2010
- To show how ludicrous an idea is, sometimes you have to take it seriously.
10 Ways to Stop Corporate Dominance of Politics
by Fran Kortenposted Jan 25, 2010
- The recent Supreme Court decision to allow unlimited corporate spending in politics just may be the straw that breaks the plutocracy’s back.
4 Positive, Practical Steps for Responding to Citizens United
by Riki Ottposted Jan 22, 2010
- How should true patriots respond to the expansion of corporate power?
by Thomas Linzey, Mari Margilposted Jan 21, 2010
- Pro-democracy groups are mobilizing against a Supreme Court decision that will allow corporations to funnel money directly to candidates for federal office.
Are Corporations People?
posted Jan 21, 2010
- Video: The Supreme Court has granted private for-profit corporations the right to contribute unlimited funds to political campaigns. What can citizens do to protect democracy?