People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
What Comes Next?: Building on Occupy and the 99% Spring
by John Cavanagh, Robin Broadposted May 30, 2012
- Many movements, many similar messages. What could the increasing cooperation between protesters mean for the future of the 99 percent?
The Rise of the New Economy Movement
by Gar Alperovitzposted May 23, 2012
- There’s economic reform, and then there’s economic transformation. How entrepreneurs, activists, and theorists are laying the groundwork for a very different economy.
Fighting Foreclosure Together
by Laura Gottesdienerposted May 21, 2012
- The demand for housing justice is bringing activists from different ideologies together to fight—and win—against foreclosures.
Endowment Activism: How Students Can Move Big Money
by Martha van Gelderposted May 17, 2012
- Think broke students have no power to influence Wall Street? Think again.
How Small Groups Can Power Big Change
by Sarah Byrnesposted May 16, 2012
- Progressive social movements don’t often take inspiration from conservative megachurches. But their lessons about organizational structure may be worth a second look.
Bank of America, Bad for America
posted May 11, 2012
- Video: Protesters take on Bank of America in New York.
The Bank Vs. America Showdown
by Mark Englerposted May 11, 2012
- In shareholders’ meetings and in the streets, how 99% Power is taking on Bank of America.
May Day Makes Waves in Seattle
by Ayla Harbinposted May 07, 2012
- Photo Essay: Hip hop rallies, immigrant marches, and ... Grandmothers Against Bullshit?
No News is Bad News for Nonprofit Journalism
by Josh Stearnsposted May 03, 2012
- Nonprofit news organizations are winning awards and covering issues mainstream media doesn’t, so why is the IRS clamping down on nonprofit media?
OWS Marks May Day With a Beatific Vision and a Big March
by Nathan Schneiderposted May 02, 2012
- What will be the lasting impacts of Occupy’s latest major action?
Paula Garcia: Acequias Return to the Land
by Heidi Bruceposted May 01, 2012
- Protecting a 400-year-old water management system from industrial takeover is also about protecting the Southwest's future.
Special Coverage: May Day!
posted May 01, 2012
- An independent movement deserves independent media. Click on the player to watch live television coverage on Free Speech TV. Click on the interactive map to see live updates on actions and arrests throughout the nation. And follow additional breaking news through our feed below.
May Day in Context
by Marina Sitrin, Dario Azzelliniposted Apr 30, 2012
- How do this year's May Day demonstrations fit into the international movement for economic justice?
Taking Monsanto to the People’s Court
by Blair Bravermanposted Apr 30, 2012
- With the legal system failing to hold Monsanto accountable, Iowans convened a court of public opinion.
Why This May Day Matters
by Sarah van Gelderposted Apr 27, 2012
- This year, the day is about occupying the space and the time to create a different world.