People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
OWS Marks May Day With a Beatific Vision and a Big March
by Nathan Schneiderposted May 02, 2012
- What will be the lasting impacts of Occupy’s latest major action?
Paula Garcia: Acequias Return to the Land
by Heidi Bruceposted May 01, 2012
- Protecting a 400-year-old water management system from industrial takeover is also about protecting the Southwest's future.
Special Coverage: May Day!
posted May 01, 2012
- An independent movement deserves independent media. Click on the player to watch live television coverage on Free Speech TV. Click on the interactive map to see live updates on actions and arrests throughout the nation. And follow additional breaking news through our feed below.
May Day in Context
by Marina Sitrin, Dario Azzelliniposted Apr 30, 2012
- How do this year's May Day demonstrations fit into the international movement for economic justice?
Taking Monsanto to the People’s Court
by Blair Bravermanposted Apr 30, 2012
- With the legal system failing to hold Monsanto accountable, Iowans convened a court of public opinion.
Why This May Day Matters
by Sarah van Gelderposted Apr 27, 2012
- This year, the day is about occupying the space and the time to create a different world.
Can Humor Topple Monsters?
by Laura Gottesdienerposted Apr 26, 2012
- An interview with Yes Man Andy Bichlbaum on his latest prank against Bank of America and why every protest needs some fun.
Occupy, the 99% Spring, and the New Age of Direct Action
by Mark Englerposted Apr 23, 2012
- Collaboration or cooptation? Expansion or dilution? Mark Engler on what to make of the 99% Spring.
A Slumber Party on Wall Street
posted Apr 19, 2012
- Video: Occupiers are once again camping in protest, this time outside the New York Stock Exchange.
A May Day Like No Other
by Nathan Schneiderposted Apr 17, 2012
- What to expect from Occupy’s next big action.
ALEC Retreats, Sort Of
by Brooke Jarvisposted Apr 17, 2012
- Following activist pressure and corporate defections, ALEC says it’s dropping its Stand Your Ground and voter ID efforts. So what comes next?
The Importance of Being Sassy
by Sven Eberleinposted Apr 17, 2012
- How Occupiers, pranksters, and artists speak louder than money.
No Tax Dollars for Deadbeats
by Doug Pibelposted Apr 16, 2012
- With corporations spending millions to dodge taxes, we’re directing our tax resentment at the wrong people.
Can There Be “Good” Corporations?
by Marjorie Kellyposted Apr 16, 2012
- When companies are owned by workers and the community—instead of Wall Street financiers—everything changes.
What to Make of the ALEC Exodus
by Brooke Jarvisposted Apr 13, 2012
- What the corporate departures mean—and don’t.