People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Occupy Oakland, in Pictures
posted Nov 04, 2011
- From rebuilding after a police raid to closing down the nation's fifth largest port, things have been busy at Occupy Oakland.
Oakland and After: Lessons from the General Strike
by Gabriel Thompsonposted Nov 03, 2011
- Media reports focus on the few acts of vandalism and violence, but the majority of occupiers at Oakland’s General Strike succeeded in a peaceful shutdown of Oakland’s banks and port.
Occupy the Banks: Strategies for Transformation
by Gar Alperovitzposted Oct 28, 2011
- Beyond revolution and reform: Gar Alperovitz on how we can fundamentally transform our financial system.
Occupy Oakland Calls General Strike
posted Oct 27, 2011
- In the wake of police raids in Oakland and the wounding of Marine veteran Scott Olsen, Occupy Oakland is calling a general strike to shut down the city on November 2.
Inside Occupy Oakland
by Dan Archerposted Oct 27, 2011
- This week, police closed down Occupy Oakland, arresting dozens. Comics journalist Dan Archer visited the encampment before the raid to meet the people behind the occupation.
Can't Buy My Vote: Maine’s Fight for Fair Elections
by Brooke Jarvisposted Oct 27, 2011
- For more than a decade, a groundbreaking Clean Elections law has helped protect Maine politics from the influence of big money. But what’s happening now that big spenders have free rein to influence elections—and what does it mean for the rest of the country?
Bank Transfer Day: A Guide to Closing Your Account
posted Oct 25, 2011
- To protest the behavior of big banks, thousands pledged to switch to small credit unions on November 5. It’s not too late to join them by following these steps.
Occupy Wall Street, 1979
by John Cavanagh, Robin Broadposted Oct 25, 2011
- Before there were hashtags, 32 years ago, more than a thousand protesters were arrested for trying to shut Wall Street down for a day ...
How Occupy Wall Street Became Occupy Everywhere
by Nathan Schneiderposted Oct 19, 2011
- The birth of a movement in action: What started as an idea has turned into strongholds of protest all over the world.
Inside Occupy Wall Street’s Nearly Last Night
by Olivia Rosaneposted Oct 15, 2011
- What was it like to be in Zuccotti Park in the hours before the owners’ planned eviction of protesters?
10 Ways to Support the Occupy Movement
by Sarah van Gelderposted Oct 14, 2011
- There are many things you can do to be part of this growing movement—and only some of them involve sleeping outside.
Turning Occupation into Lasting Change
by Thomas Linzey, Jeff Reifmanposted Oct 14, 2011
- Is the Occupy movement an opportunity to transform the legal structures that give corporations their power over the rest of us?
The 99 Percent: Why We Protest
posted Oct 13, 2011
- Video: Thousands of ordinary people have shown up from all around the country to support #OccupyWallStreet. Who are they?
Where The 99 Percent Get Their Power
by Sarah van Gelderposted Oct 07, 2011
- How did a small protest in lower Manhattan go viral? With more than 50 cities involved, #OccupyWallStreet is already changing the debate.
Why #OccupyWallStreet Has Staying Power
by Mark Englerposted Oct 06, 2011
- How the anti-corporate protests have evolved into the populist force now sweeping the nation.