People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Asking for What Obama Promised
by Madeline Ostranderposted Aug 31, 2011
- Protesters push Obama to resist the influence of the oil industry and stop the Keystone XL pipeline.
Gold or Water? A Deadly Debate
by John Cavanagh, Robin Broadposted Aug 29, 2011
- To protect their water supply, Salvadorans are trying to ban corporate gold mining—and facing threats and violence as a result.
Can Communities Reclaim the Right to Say “No”?
by Mari Margilposted Aug 24, 2011
- Many communities trying to keep fracking, drilling, or big box stores out finding they don’t have the legal right. Their response? Take on the very structure of law.
A Very Civil Civil Disobedience
posted Aug 19, 2011
- "From Henry David Thoreau, to Susan B. Anthony, to Gandhi, to King, to you." Oscar-nominated director Josh Fox on how you can help stop the disastrous development of the Canadian tar sands.
Prevent a Tar Sands Disaster
by Nellis Kennedy-Howardposted Aug 19, 2011
- Why developing the tarsands has been called "world's most destructive project."
Bill McKibben: This Is Getting Exciting
by Bill McKibbenposted Aug 18, 2011
- With thousands pledged to risk arrest at the White House to protect the Alberta tar sands, the climate movement’s biggest civil disobedience action ever is about to take Washington by storm.
Want Jobs? Rebuild the Dream
by Sarah van Gelderposted Aug 17, 2011
- Interview: Van Jones is leading a national mobilization to rebuild the middle class—through decent work, fair taxes, and opportunities for all.
What a 10-Year-Old Did for the Tar Sands
by Angela Sterrittposted Aug 15, 2011
- Why a First Nations student from British Columbia is taking on a controversial trans-Canadian pipeline project—through song.
The Best Bills of 2011
by Progressive States Networkposted Aug 12, 2011
- Dig beneath the gloom: 13 positive, progressive state bills that could turn things around in the years to come.
Join In: The People v. the Pipeline
posted Aug 11, 2011
- Join us for a live Twitter chat at 8 p.m. EST with YES! executive editor Sarah van Gelder, Naomi Klein, Bill McKibben, and others on the controversial tar sands pipeline and the mass civil disobedience kicking off next week to fight it.
The Bookstore After Borders: Protecting Creativity from Consolidation
by Stacy Mitchellposted Aug 01, 2011
- From books to music, why retail consolidation is bad news for creativity—and what can be done about it.
People We Love: Maria Aguinda
by Oliver Lazenbyposted Jul 25, 2011
- An indigenous elder from the Amazon takes Chevron to court.
People We Love: Mahlon Mitchell
by Robert Mellingerposted Jul 25, 2011
- A Wisconsin firefighter protests for collective bargaining.
Arrivederci, Water Profiteers
by Daniel Mossposted Jul 22, 2011
- “Water is a common good.” Why 96 percent of Italian voters rejected their government’s push for water privatization.
How to Liberate America
by David Kortenposted Jul 19, 2011
- How is it that our nation is awash in money, but too broke to provide jobs and services? David Korten introduces a landmark new report, “How to Liberate America from Wall Street Rule.”