People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Sitting In with Wendell Berry
by Jeff Biggersposted Feb 17, 2011
- An interview with Wendell Berry midway through his four-day sit-in in the Kentucky governor's office in protest of mountaintop removal coal mining.
A Real-Market Alternative
by David Kortenposted Feb 15, 2011
- Our current economic choice is not between capitalism and communism. It is between locally accountable Main Street markets and Wall Street central planning by predatory global financiers.
Corporate Control? Not in These Communities
by Allen D. Kannerposted Feb 04, 2011
- Municipalities across the country are passing ordinances reclaiming their citizens' rights from corporate interests.
Money From Nothing?
by David Kortenposted Feb 01, 2011
- Through their accounting slight of hand, Wall Street illusionists convince even themselves that they are enriching society rather than preying on it.
What If Orangutans Had Their Day In Court?
by Madeline Ostranderposted Feb 01, 2011
- Environmentalists say nature should have legally recognized rights. But what does that really mean?
The Not-So-Neutral Net
by Jenn Ettingerposted Jan 24, 2011
- The FCC’s new rules on Net Neutrality open the Internet to corporate discrimination. But it’s not too late to preserve Internet freedom.
by Brooke Jarvisposted Jan 21, 2011
- The need to get money out of politics may be the one thing Americans agree on.
Diary of a Disaster: 6 Months in the Gulf
by Riki Ottposted Jan 11, 2011
- What it’s like to respond to an environmental and democratic crisis—and where we go from here.
In Memory of Judy Bonds
by Robert Shetterlyposted Jan 10, 2011
- Artist Robert Shetterly remembers a coal miner's daughter who took on the coal industry.
Legal Pros Say No to Citizens United
by Jeffrey D. Clements and Ben T. Clementsposted Nov 17, 2010
- Experts call for Constitutional amendment to take back democracy from corporations.
Pittsburgh Bans Natural Gas Drilling
by Mari Margil, Ben Priceposted Nov 16, 2010
- A historic new ordinance bans natural gas drilling while elevating community decision making and the rights of nature over the “rights” associated with corporate personhood.
Boat-to-Table Fishing CSAs Catching On
by Ellen Tyler, Daniel Firesideposted Nov 14, 2010
- Do you know who your fisherman is?
7 Ways to Transform Banking
by Fran Kortenposted Nov 11, 2010
- Each of us can help build a resilient financial system that will serve real people in real communities.
After the Campaign Cash, the Backlash
by Brooke Jarvisposted Nov 04, 2010
- The 2010 midterm elections—the first since Citizens United opened the floodgates to corporate campaign cash—were the most expensive in history. So what happens next?
Will the Real Voice of Small Business Please Stand Up?
by Stacy Mitchellposted Nov 02, 2010
- Small businesses and local chambers are distancing themselves from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s politics.