People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
The Best Bills of 2011
by Progressive States Networkposted Aug 12, 2011
- Dig beneath the gloom: 13 positive, progressive state bills that could turn things around in the years to come.
Join In: The People v. the Pipeline
posted Aug 11, 2011
- Join us for a live Twitter chat at 8 p.m. EST with YES! executive editor Sarah van Gelder, Naomi Klein, Bill McKibben, and others on the controversial tar sands pipeline and the mass civil disobedience kicking off next week to fight it.
The Bookstore After Borders: Protecting Creativity from Consolidation
by Stacy Mitchellposted Aug 01, 2011
- From books to music, why retail consolidation is bad news for creativity—and what can be done about it.
People We Love: Maria Aguinda
by Oliver Lazenbyposted Jul 25, 2011
- An indigenous elder from the Amazon takes Chevron to court.
People We Love: Mahlon Mitchell
by Robert Mellingerposted Jul 25, 2011
- A Wisconsin firefighter protests for collective bargaining.
Arrivederci, Water Profiteers
by Daniel Mossposted Jul 22, 2011
- “Water is a common good.” Why 96 percent of Italian voters rejected their government’s push for water privatization.
How to Liberate America
by David Kortenposted Jul 19, 2011
- How is it that our nation is awash in money, but too broke to provide jobs and services? David Korten introduces a landmark new report, “How to Liberate America from Wall Street Rule.”
Appalachia’s Cry for Help
by Maria Gunnoe, Bo Webb, Mickey McCoy, Chuck Nelson, Bob Kincaid, Vernon Haltomposted Jul 13, 2011
- “We can no longer endure this reckless abuse of our rights, and our lives.” Appalachians appeal for help in the fight against mountaintop removal coal mining.
Standing Up to Corporatism
posted Jul 12, 2011
- At the second March on Blair Mountain, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. tells the story of America’s long struggle against unchecked corporate power.
5 Protests That Shook the World (With Laughter)
by The Yes Menposted Jul 12, 2011
- Great moments in “laughtivism” from Yes Men Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno, the guys who duped the BBC, embarrassed Dow Chemical, and mocked Halliburton.
The Next American Revolution?
by David Kortenposted Jun 28, 2011
- The current grassroots movement against corporate power can draw inspiration and lessons from the time our American forebears liberated themselves from a British king.
“America Has the Wealth to End the Despair”
by Sarah Anderson, Marlee Blasenheimposted Jun 24, 2011
- Nurses come face-to-face with the fallout of the financial crisis every day. Now they've joined the worldwide movement for a tax that would curb financial speculation—and help fill public needs.
The End of the American Dream?
posted Jun 24, 2011
- Video: While the rich are getting richer, ordinary people are suffering. How can we bring an end to our "rich takes all" society?
How the Left and Right Can Unite
by David Kortenposted Jun 21, 2011
- If we'd stop tearing each other apart, we might see an opportunity to win back our democracy from the rich and powerful.
Two Points for the Tea Party. Now What?
by David Kortenposted Jun 16, 2011
- We can all agree that we've got deficit and spending problems. But where do we go from here?