People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Closing Down Coal Plants
by Sarah Kuckposted Jun 15, 2011
- Why shutting down 20 boilers nationwide could herald big changes for our energy future.
Our Most Urgent Climate Struggles—And How We Might Win Them
by Bill McKibbenposted Jun 02, 2011
- Bill McKibben: In the mighty struggles beginning between climate activists and the fossil fuel industry, geography is on our side.
Give Us Our Law Back: Montana Fights to Stop Corporate Corruption
by Gwen Stowe, Jeff Clementsposted May 24, 2011
- For nearly 100 years, Montana law prohibited corporate money in politics. Then came the Citizens United decision.
Mr. Colbert Goes to the FEC
by Brooke Jarvisposted May 18, 2011
- The satirist wants to form "a megaphone made of cash"—his own super PAC.
Keepers of the Seeds
by Winona LaDukeposted May 12, 2011
- Winona LaDuke: How Native farmers and gardeners are working to preserve their agricultural heritage.
Photo Essay: Crude Reflections from the Amazon
by Lou Dematteisposted May 04, 2011
- After enduring years of toxic dumping and rising cancer rates, indigenous Ecuadorians took oil giant Chevron to court to fight for the life of the rainforest—and its people.
Diary of an Eco-Outlaw: An Unreasonable Woman Breaks the Law for Mother Earth
by Kristin Kolbposted May 01, 2011
- YES! reviews the latest book from offbeat activist Diane Wilson.
Tax Day 2011: "The More You Make, The Less You Pay"
by Chuck Collinsposted Apr 15, 2011
- Corporations are dodging taxes, governments are cutting social services, and Americans are fed up. How they're fighting back.
The Budget Agreement: No Occasion for Back-Patting
by Alan W. Housemanposted Apr 11, 2011
- Lawmakers are congratulating themselves for averting government shutdown—but the nation's budget for 2012 is still out of balance.
Jon Stewart: Wait, Who’s Greedy?
posted Mar 30, 2011
- GE's not paying taxes ... and public employees are the ones we're calling "greedy, parasitic, and selfish?"
The End of Empire
by David Kortenposted Mar 28, 2011
- Wall Street’s days are numbered. Ours need not be.
Fighting America’s Corporate Coup D’Etat
by Amy Goodmanposted Mar 17, 2011
- Amy Goodman and Naomi Klein on how Americans across the country are resisting the Shock Doctrine.
Tackling Corporate Power, One Town at a Time
by Mari Margilposted Mar 17, 2011
- How communities are saying "no" to corporate drilling—even if it means bucking state law.
Wisconsin Awakens a Sleeping Giant
by Sarah van Gelder, Brooke Jarvisposted Mar 15, 2011
- Workers across the country are demanding to know why corporations and the wealthy get bailouts and tax breaks while teachers and steel workers bear the burdens of budget crises.
People We Love: Inez Killingsworth
by Alyssa B. Johnsonposted Mar 11, 2011
- How one outspoken resident is helping Cleveland's families keep their homes.