People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Appalachia’s Cry for Help
by Maria Gunnoe, Bo Webb, Mickey McCoy, Chuck Nelson, Bob Kincaid, Vernon Haltomposted Jul 13, 2011
- “We can no longer endure this reckless abuse of our rights, and our lives.” Appalachians appeal for help in the fight against mountaintop removal coal mining.
Standing Up to Corporatism
posted Jul 12, 2011
- At the second March on Blair Mountain, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. tells the story of America’s long struggle against unchecked corporate power.
5 Protests That Shook the World (With Laughter)
by The Yes Menposted Jul 12, 2011
- Great moments in “laughtivism” from Yes Men Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno, the guys who duped the BBC, embarrassed Dow Chemical, and mocked Halliburton.
The Next American Revolution?
by David Kortenposted Jun 28, 2011
- The current grassroots movement against corporate power can draw inspiration and lessons from the time our American forebears liberated themselves from a British king.
“America Has the Wealth to End the Despair”
by Sarah Anderson, Marlee Blasenheimposted Jun 24, 2011
- Nurses come face-to-face with the fallout of the financial crisis every day. Now they've joined the worldwide movement for a tax that would curb financial speculation—and help fill public needs.
The End of the American Dream?
posted Jun 24, 2011
- Video: While the rich are getting richer, ordinary people are suffering. How can we bring an end to our "rich takes all" society?
How the Left and Right Can Unite
by David Kortenposted Jun 21, 2011
- If we'd stop tearing each other apart, we might see an opportunity to win back our democracy from the rich and powerful.
Two Points for the Tea Party. Now What?
by David Kortenposted Jun 16, 2011
- We can all agree that we've got deficit and spending problems. But where do we go from here?
Van Jones: Now is the Time to Protect the American Dream
posted Jun 16, 2011
- Video: "It's time for the deep patriots to stand up to the cheap patriots." Van Jones' address to Netroots Nation 2011.
Closing Down Coal Plants
by Sarah Kuckposted Jun 15, 2011
- Why shutting down 20 boilers nationwide could herald big changes for our energy future.
Our Most Urgent Climate Struggles—And How We Might Win Them
by Bill McKibbenposted Jun 02, 2011
- Bill McKibben: In the mighty struggles beginning between climate activists and the fossil fuel industry, geography is on our side.
Give Us Our Law Back: Montana Fights to Stop Corporate Corruption
by Gwen Stowe, Jeff Clementsposted May 24, 2011
- For nearly 100 years, Montana law prohibited corporate money in politics. Then came the Citizens United decision.
Mr. Colbert Goes to the FEC
by Brooke Jarvisposted May 18, 2011
- The satirist wants to form "a megaphone made of cash"—his own super PAC.
Keepers of the Seeds
by Winona LaDukeposted May 12, 2011
- Winona LaDuke: How Native farmers and gardeners are working to preserve their agricultural heritage.
Photo Essay: Crude Reflections from the Amazon
by Lou Dematteisposted May 04, 2011
- After enduring years of toxic dumping and rising cancer rates, indigenous Ecuadorians took oil giant Chevron to court to fight for the life of the rainforest—and its people.