People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
US Uncut: Standing Up to Corporate Tax Dodgers
posted Mar 03, 2011
- Photo essay: "Austerity for us, prosperity for them"—and more signs from US Uncut's 50-city protests of corporate tax avoidance.
War Against the Middle Class
by David Kortenposted Mar 01, 2011
- How Wall Street undermined an American ideal and won the class war.
“Do You Pay Your Taxes? Bank of America Doesn’t”
by Chuck Collinsposted Feb 28, 2011
- The latest from a growing international movement to make corporate tax dodgers pay ... so public services don't have to.
Bigger than Unions, Bigger than Wisconsin
by Micah Uetrichtposted Feb 25, 2011
- How Americans across professions, religions, and states are uniting in opposition to Wisconsin's anti-union bill—and cultivating a movement that reaches far beyond the state border.
More Powerful Than We Know: Interview with Tim DeChristopher
by Brooke Jarvisposted Feb 25, 2011
- Facing jail time for civil disobedience, Tim DeChristopher on why “we have more than enough power” to stop the fossil fuel industry.
Dear Glenn Beck: It’s Not Conspiracy, It’s Courage
by Sarah van Gelderposted Feb 24, 2011
- Glenn Beck thinks the spread of anti-corporate protests is a little too convenient. But this is what happens when ordinary people discover their power.
5 Ways You Can Fight Citizens United
by Annie Leonard, Allison Cookposted Feb 21, 2011
- The Story of Citizens United v FEC: How we the people can reclaim our democracy.
Wisconsin: The First Stop in An American Uprising?
by Sarah van Gelderposted Feb 18, 2011
- It took a while, but protests in Wisconsin show that poor and middle class Americans are ready to push back against the policies and cuts that hurt them most. Madison may be only the beginning.
Sitting In with Wendell Berry
by Jeff Biggersposted Feb 17, 2011
- An interview with Wendell Berry midway through his four-day sit-in in the Kentucky governor's office in protest of mountaintop removal coal mining.
A Real-Market Alternative
by David Kortenposted Feb 15, 2011
- Our current economic choice is not between capitalism and communism. It is between locally accountable Main Street markets and Wall Street central planning by predatory global financiers.
Corporate Control? Not in These Communities
by Allen D. Kannerposted Feb 04, 2011
- Municipalities across the country are passing ordinances reclaiming their citizens' rights from corporate interests.
Money From Nothing?
by David Kortenposted Feb 01, 2011
- Through their accounting slight of hand, Wall Street illusionists convince even themselves that they are enriching society rather than preying on it.
What If Orangutans Had Their Day In Court?
by Madeline Ostranderposted Feb 01, 2011
- Environmentalists say nature should have legally recognized rights. But what does that really mean?
The Not-So-Neutral Net
by Jenn Ettingerposted Jan 24, 2011
- The FCC’s new rules on Net Neutrality open the Internet to corporate discrimination. But it’s not too late to preserve Internet freedom.
by Brooke Jarvisposted Jan 21, 2011
- The need to get money out of politics may be the one thing Americans agree on.