A Very Civil Civil Disobedience
Aug 19, 2011
- "From Henry David Thoreau, to Susan B. Anthony, to Gandhi, to King, to you." Oscar-nominated director Josh Fox on how you can help stop the disastrous development of the Canadian tar sands.
Prevent a Tar Sands Disaster
by Nellis Kennedy-HowardAug 19, 2011
- Why developing the tarsands has been called "world's most destructive project."
Bill McKibben: This Is Getting Exciting
by Bill McKibbenAug 18, 2011
- With thousands pledged to risk arrest at the White House to protect the Alberta tar sands, the climate movement’s biggest civil disobedience action ever is about to take Washington by storm.
Want Jobs? Rebuild the Dream
by Sarah van GelderAug 17, 2011
- Interview: Van Jones is leading a national mobilization to rebuild the middle class—through decent work, fair taxes, and opportunities for all.
What a 10-Year-Old Did to Stop the Tar Sands
by Angela SterrittAug 15, 2011
- Why a First Nations student from British Columbia is taking on a controversial trans-Canadian pipeline project—through song.
The Best Bills of 2011
by Progressive States NetworkAug 12, 2011
- Dig beneath the gloom: 13 positive, progressive state bills that could turn things around in the years to come.
Join In: The People v. the Pipeline
Aug 11, 2011
- Join us for a live Twitter chat at 8 p.m. EST with YES! executive editor Sarah van Gelder, Naomi Klein, Bill McKibben, and others on the controversial tar sands pipeline and the mass civil disobedience kicking off next week to fight it.
The Bookstore After Borders: Protecting Creativity from Consolidation
by Stacy MitchellAug 01, 2011
- From books to music, why retail consolidation is bad news for creativity—and what can be done about it.
People We Love: Maria Aguinda
by Oliver LazenbyJul 25, 2011
- An indigenous elder from the Amazon takes Chevron to court.
People We Love: Mahlon Mitchell
by Robert MellingerJul 25, 2011
- A Wisconsin firefighter protests for collective bargaining.
Arrivederci, Water Profiteers
by Daniel MossJul 22, 2011
- “Water is a common good.” Why 96 percent of Italian voters rejected their government’s push for water privatization.
How to Liberate America
by David KortenJul 19, 2011
- How is it that our nation is awash in money, but too broke to provide jobs and services? David Korten introduces a landmark new report, “How to Liberate America from Wall Street Rule.”
Appalachia’s Cry for Help
by Maria Gunnoe, Bo Webb, Mickey McCoy, Chuck Nelson, Bob Kincaid, Vernon HaltomJul 13, 2011
- “We can no longer endure this reckless abuse of our rights, and our lives.” Appalachians appeal for help in the fight against mountaintop removal coal mining.
Standing Up to Corporatism
Jul 12, 2011
- At the second March on Blair Mountain, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. tells the story of America’s long struggle against unchecked corporate power.
5 Protests That Shook the World (With Laughter)
by The Yes MenJul 12, 2011
- Great moments in “laughtivism” from Yes Men Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno, the guys who duped the BBC, embarrassed Dow Chemical, and mocked Halliburton.