People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
A New Age of People Power: Lessons from the Dongria Kondh
by John Perkinsposted Sep 03, 2010
- With greater power to build alliances across boundaries, the Davids of the world are having more success throwing off the Goliaths.
Can We Cut CEO Pay Down to Size?
by Sam Pizzigatiposted Sep 01, 2010
- Corporate executives are rewarded for cutting jobs and acting irresponsibly, according to a new study. How can we curb excessive pay and hold CEOs accountable?
A Month Without Monsanto
by April Dávilaposted Aug 24, 2010
- April Dávila wondered what it would take to cut the GMO giant out of her family’s life. She found that it was far more entrenched than she’d ever realized.
A Crisis of Democracy: Real Solutions to the BP Oil Spill
by Brooke Jarvisposted Aug 23, 2010
- For Gulf residents, the BP oil spill has made the problem of unchecked corporate power painfully clear. Exxon Valdez survivor Riki Ott on why this may be the moment to overcome our political divides and take back our democracy.
Homeowners’ Rebellion: Could 62 Million Homes Be Foreclosure-Proof?
by Ellen Brownposted Aug 18, 2010
- The financial juggling that helped cause the 2008 crisis may be coming back to haunt banks—and help homeowners.
The Fight Against Fracking
by Maura Stephensposted Aug 13, 2010
- How New Yorkers won a moratorium on a drilling practice that threatens their lives, homes, and water.
Unlikely Alliances in Fight for Sacred Lands
by Tess Thackaraposted Aug 12, 2010
- Major shareholders are joining the Dongria Kondh tribe's fight to protect their homeland from mining by Vedanta Resources.
Tribes Unite to Fight BP
by Sue Sturgisposted Jul 07, 2010
- Indigenous leaders from Ecuador visited Louisiana to share what they learned in a decades-long battle with Texaco.
New Heroes in the Fight Against Big Oil
by Madeline Ostranderposted Jun 25, 2010
- How one Florida restaurant owner has organized a force against offshore drilling.
Six Things To Do About the BP Gulf Disaster
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jun 01, 2010
- Instead of sitting helplessly on the sidelines, here are six things every American can do.
David Korten: Why We Must Declare Our Independence from Wall Street
posted Jun 01, 2010
- David Korten introduces his Agenda for a New Economy at the 2009 Seattle Green Festival.
Lighting the Way to a New Economy
by David Kortenposted May 31, 2010
- All across the United States and Canada people are rebuilding their local economies to restore community and regain control of their economic lives. How do these local efforts add up to global economic transformation? I delivered this keynote address to the Business Alliance for Local Living Economies (BALLE) in Charleston, NC on May 22, 2010 on the theme "Lighting the Way to a New Economy."
Real People v. Corporate “People”: The Fight Is On
by Doug Pibelposted May 27, 2010
- The Supreme Court says corporations can spend as much money as they want on political advertising. Millions of Americans say they've had it.
How Felton, Calif., Achieved Water Independence
by Tara Lohanposted May 27, 2010
- A tiny Californian town took back its water supply—and your town can too.
3 World Water Wins
by Maude Barlow, Anil Naidoo, Meera Karunananthanposted May 27, 2010
- Around the world, people are taking control of their water supply.