People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
The Not-So-Neutral Net
by Jenn Ettingerposted Jan 24, 2011
- The FCC’s new rules on Net Neutrality open the Internet to corporate discrimination. But it’s not too late to preserve Internet freedom.
by Brooke Jarvisposted Jan 21, 2011
- The need to get money out of politics may be the one thing Americans agree on.
Diary of a Disaster: 6 Months in the Gulf
by Riki Ottposted Jan 11, 2011
- What it’s like to respond to an environmental and democratic crisis—and where we go from here.
In Memory of Judy Bonds
by Robert Shetterlyposted Jan 10, 2011
- Artist Robert Shetterly remembers a coal miner's daughter who took on the coal industry.
Legal Pros Say No to Citizens United
by Jeffrey D. Clements and Ben T. Clementsposted Nov 17, 2010
- Experts call for Constitutional amendment to take back democracy from corporations.
Pittsburgh Bans Natural Gas Drilling
by Mari Margil, Ben Priceposted Nov 16, 2010
- A historic new ordinance bans natural gas drilling while elevating community decision making and the rights of nature over the “rights” associated with corporate personhood.
Boat-to-Table Fishing CSAs Catching On
by Ellen Tyler, Daniel Firesideposted Nov 14, 2010
- Do you know who your fisherman is?
7 Ways to Transform Banking
by Fran Kortenposted Nov 11, 2010
- Each of us can help build a resilient financial system that will serve real people in real communities.
After the Campaign Cash, the Backlash
by Brooke Jarvisposted Nov 04, 2010
- The 2010 midterm elections—the first since Citizens United opened the floodgates to corporate campaign cash—were the most expensive in history. So what happens next?
Will the Real Voice of Small Business Please Stand Up?
by Stacy Mitchellposted Nov 02, 2010
- Small businesses and local chambers are distancing themselves from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s politics.
Pennsylvania Township Declares Freedom from Fracking
by Mari Margil, Ben Priceposted Oct 27, 2010
- Licking, Pennsylvania defies state law by banning corporations from dumping fracking wastewater.
Slavery Goes Public
by Christa Hillstromposted Oct 21, 2010
- Are the products you buy tainted by slavery and child labor? A new California law can help you find out.
A Big Surprise for Chevron
posted Oct 20, 2010
- Hours before the oil giant released its new ad campaign, the Yes Men released their own version.
Making Sense of the Foreclosure Mess
by Doug Pibelposted Oct 13, 2010
- Why are mortgage holders suspending foreclosures? And what will happen to homeowners?
How We Brought Down a Dictator
by Bryan Farrell, Eric Stonerposted Oct 07, 2010
- 10 years later: A conversation with Srdja Popovic, a leader in the the nonviolent overthrow of Slobodan Milosevic.