People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Lighting the Way to a New Economy
by David Kortenposted May 31, 2010
- All across the United States and Canada people are rebuilding their local economies to restore community and regain control of their economic lives. How do these local efforts add up to global economic transformation? I delivered this keynote address to the Business Alliance for Local Living Economies (BALLE) in Charleston, NC on May 22, 2010 on the theme "Lighting the Way to a New Economy."
Real People v. Corporate “People”: The Fight Is On
by Doug Pibelposted May 27, 2010
- The Supreme Court says corporations can spend as much money as they want on political advertising. Millions of Americans say they've had it.
How Felton, Calif., Achieved Water Independence
by Tara Lohanposted May 27, 2010
- A tiny Californian town took back its water supply—and your town can too.
3 World Water Wins
by Maude Barlow, Anil Naidoo, Meera Karunananthanposted May 27, 2010
- Around the world, people are taking control of their water supply.
People We Love :: Donna Edwards
by Berit Andersonposted May 27, 2010
- Standing against corporate power.
Haitian Farmers Refuse Monsanto Hybrid Seeds
by Beverly Bellposted May 21, 2010
- A coalition of peasant farmers is standing up for food sovereignty.
Marching on K Street to Transform Wall Street
by John Cavanaghposted May 17, 2010
- To curb Wall Street's power, we need to get our own government back on our side.
The 28th Amendment? Interview with Donna Edwards
by Sarah van Gelderposted May 14, 2010
- YES! Magazine executive editor Sarah van Gelder spoke to Rep. Donna Edwards about the constitutional amendment Edwards introduced in response to the Citizens United decision.
Fix the Economy, Not Wall Street
by David Kortenposted Apr 28, 2010
- Would-be Wall Street regulators aren't asking the right question: How do we create a financial services sector that directs money where it is actually needed?
The Cochabamba Water Revolt, Ten Years Later
by Jim Shultzposted Apr 20, 2010
- Bolivia's historic grassroots victory against Bechtel is a reminder of the power of protest—as well as the importance of less romantic work.
Citizens United: People Strike Back
by Riki Ott, David Cobbposted Apr 16, 2010
- How states and people are mobilizing to defend democracy.
5 Ways to Stand Up for Fairer Taxes
by Chuck Collinsposted Apr 12, 2010
- How can we protect public services while stopping the "Great Tax Shift" from corporations and the wealthy to the middle class and small businesses?
Move Your Money and Save
by Stacy Mitchellposted Apr 07, 2010
- Big banks don't just undermine local economies—they're bad for your wallet, too.
Goodbye, Granny D
by Rob Richieposted Mar 22, 2010
- Remembering the inspiring life of Doris Haddock, a great-grandmother from New Hampshire who decided, at age 88, to take a stand (and a very long walk) to protect democracy.
Iceland Busts the Banksters
by John Nicholsposted Mar 10, 2010
- In a symbolic decision, democracy trumps capital as Icelanders say "no" to big bank bailouts.