The Senate Just Voted to Keep Big Money in Politics. Three Reasons to Celebrate Anyway
by Fran KortenSep 11, 2014
- The fact that the issue reached the Senate floor is a huge victory for the American people, who overwhelmingly say they want something done about corporate influence in elections.
A Wealthy Capitalist on Why Money Doesn't Trickle Down
by Nick HanauerSep 09, 2014
- Nick Hanauer, venture capitalist and self-described “plutocrat,” says a healthy economy and an effective democracy depend on a thriving middle class of workers.
Video: Inside a Miami McDonald's on Strike
Sep 05, 2014
- More than 400 workers and supporters were arrested on Thursday amid a nationwide wave of walkouts and demonstrations.
Obamacare Closed a Loophole for CEO Pay—And Won Taxpayers $72M
by Marjorie E. WoodSep 04, 2014
- The savings from 2013 alone could pay for dental care for 262,000 Americans for an entire year.
Should Your Town Have the Right to Ban Fracking? These Laws Will Have to Change First
by Mari MargilAug 27, 2014
- Unless the legal foundation for local self-governance is truly built on the rights of communities, victories like the one in New York can easily be overturned.
Red and Blue States Agree on Taxing Corporations More (And Lots of Other Stuff)
by Miriam Axel-LuteJul 09, 2014
- When you ask Americans specific questions about the policies they support, it turns out we're not so polarized after all.
Anti-Homeless Spikes? Heartless. Cementing Over Them? Ingenious.
by Molly RuskJun 26, 2014
- Londoners have made their feelings clear about a corporate "solution" to the problem of homelessness—and the company listened.
Return of Hometown News: Old-School Reporters and Citizen Journalists Unite to Bring it Back
by Dan KennedyJun 13, 2014
- Filling a void left by big city newspapers, online projects combine community news, journalism, and conversations with our neighbors.
Meet 6 Nutrition Blogger Moms Who Crashed the McDonald's Shareholder Meeting
by YES! EditorsMay 22, 2014
- Current trends suggest one in three kids will develop Type 2 diabetes as adults. These moms told McDonald’s CEO Don Thompson what they think about the fast food industry targeting their kids.
Our Economy Wants You to Be In Debt—5 Things You Can Do to Take Charge
by Liz PleasantMay 21, 2014
- We pored through a debt-resistance manual created by former Occupiers to bring you these practical tips.
Portland Is First U.S. City to Divest Funds from Walmart
by Laura Garcia, Molly RuskMay 16, 2014
- The initiative also prohibits the city from purchasing Walmart bonds in the future.
Can We Keep the Internet Free?
by Candace ClementMay 14, 2014
- The struggle to save the world's greatest communication network.
To My Friend the Climate Defeatist: Here's Why I'm Still In the Fight
by Jim ShultzApr 29, 2014
- It is good to mourn for what's being lost. But giving up just gives the fossil fuel industry what it wants.
When Big Money Controls Big Media, There’s a Big Decline in Democracy
by David KortavaApr 23, 2014
- “Dollarocracy” examines innovations in other democratic nations to solve our money-in-politics crisis.
They Started by Blockading a Bus Full of Detainees—And Went on to Shake Up the Immigration Debate
by Rachael StoeveApr 16, 2014
- A look at the growing influence of undocumented voices in the movement for immigrant rights.