5 Ways You Can Fight Citizens United
by Annie Leonard, Allison CookFeb 21, 2011
- The Story of Citizens United v FEC: How we the people can reclaim our democracy.
Wisconsin: The First Stop in An American Uprising?
by Sarah van GelderFeb 18, 2011
- It took a while, but protests in Wisconsin show that poor and middle class Americans are ready to push back against the policies and cuts that hurt them most. Madison may be only the beginning.
Sitting In with Wendell Berry
by Jeff BiggersFeb 17, 2011
- An interview with Wendell Berry midway through his four-day sit-in in the Kentucky governor's office in protest of mountaintop removal coal mining.
A Real-Market Alternative
by David KortenFeb 15, 2011
- Our current economic choice is not between capitalism and communism. It is between locally accountable Main Street markets and Wall Street central planning by predatory global financiers.
Corporate Control? Not in These Communities
by Allen D. KannerFeb 04, 2011
- Municipalities across the country are passing ordinances reclaiming their citizens' rights from corporate interests.
Money From Nothing?
by David KortenFeb 01, 2011
- Through their accounting slight of hand, Wall Street illusionists convince even themselves that they are enriching society rather than preying on it.
What If Orangutans Had Their Day In Court?
by Madeline OstranderFeb 01, 2011
- Environmentalists say nature should have legally recognized rights. But what does that really mean?
The Not-So-Neutral Net
by Jenn EttingerJan 24, 2011
- The FCC’s new rules on Net Neutrality open the Internet to corporate discrimination. But it’s not too late to preserve Internet freedom.
by Brooke JarvisJan 21, 2011
- The need to get money out of politics may be the one thing Americans agree on.
Diary of a Disaster: 6 Months in the Gulf
by Riki OttJan 11, 2011
- What it’s like to respond to an environmental and democratic crisis—and where we go from here.
In Memory of Judy Bonds
by Robert ShetterlyJan 10, 2011
- Artist Robert Shetterly remembers a coal miner's daughter who took on the coal industry.
Legal Pros Say No to Citizens United
by Jeffrey D. Clements and Ben T. ClementsNov 17, 2010
- Experts call for Constitutional amendment to take back democracy from corporations.
Pittsburgh Bans Natural Gas Drilling
by Mari Margil, Ben PriceNov 16, 2010
- A historic new ordinance bans natural gas drilling while elevating community decision making and the rights of nature over the “rights” associated with corporate personhood.
Boat-to-Table Fishing CSAs Catching On
by Ellen Tyler, Daniel FiresideNov 14, 2010
- Do you know who your fisherman is?
7 Ways to Transform Banking
by Fran KortenNov 11, 2010
- Each of us can help build a resilient financial system that will serve real people in real communities.