People vs. corporations
Keeping private profits from getting in the way of the public good.
Drafting Nature's Constitution
posted Mar 02, 2010
- Video: Simply regulating pollution will never really stop it. Mari Margil of the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund discusses why we need a fundamental change in the way we use law to protect nature.
The Power of Local
by Jeff Milchenposted Feb 18, 2010
- Through mutual support and community education, independent businesses are finding ways to promote local economies and even outperform chains.
A Prairie Populist Leaves the Senate
by Jonathan Roweposted Feb 16, 2010
- Byron Dorgan was a champion of workers and farmers and an early opponent of deregulating the banking industry.
World Economic Forum, Take Two
by Brooke Jarvisposted Feb 12, 2010
- Prankster filmmakers found a way to make business and political leaders say all the right things.
Crude :: Film Trailer
posted Feb 11, 2010
- What is the real price of oil? This 2009 documentary investigates the $27 billion class action environmental lawsuit against Chevron for pollution.
First "Corporate Person" Runs for Political Office
by Brooke Jarvisposted Feb 01, 2010
- To show how ludicrous an idea is, sometimes you have to take it seriously.
10 Ways to Stop Corporate Dominance of Politics
by Fran Kortenposted Jan 25, 2010
- The recent Supreme Court decision to allow unlimited corporate spending in politics just may be the straw that breaks the plutocracy’s back.
4 Positive, Practical Steps for Responding to Citizens United
by Riki Ottposted Jan 22, 2010
- How should true patriots respond to the expansion of corporate power?
by Thomas Linzey, Mari Margilposted Jan 21, 2010
- Pro-democracy groups are mobilizing against a Supreme Court decision that will allow corporations to funnel money directly to candidates for federal office.
Are Corporations People?
posted Jan 21, 2010
- Video: The Supreme Court has granted private for-profit corporations the right to contribute unlimited funds to political campaigns. What can citizens do to protect democracy?
Nine Ways Our World Changed During the '00s
by Sarah van Gelderposted Dec 30, 2009
- Corporations get still more powerful. A middle-class living slips away from millions. Climate change becomes deadly. War, and more war. Looking back on the '00s (uh ohs) and the nine trends that changed our world.
Why Annie Leonard is Right About Cap-and-Trade
by Peter Barnesposted Dec 28, 2009
- The real question isn’t why Annie Leonard questions cap-and-trade; it’s why all environmentalists don’t support Cantwell-Collins.
Tsunami Survivors Fight for Land Rights
by Robert Reynoldsposted Dec 26, 2009
- In Thailand, the Indian Ocean tsunami allowed resort developers to push indigenous coastal communities off their land. Villages are fighting back--and winning legal rights to their homes.
Was Lehman So Long Ago?
by Robert Weissmanposted Dec 16, 2009
- While the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act makes some positive strides, what's really needed is a popular uprising for stronger regulation.
Activists Wrangle Forest Victories from Corporations
by Laura Kaliebeposted Dec 15, 2009
- Fierce pressure from activists has led several major corporations to change purchasing practices linked to deforestation.