Government of, by, and for the people.
Tiny Houses for the Homeless: An Affordable Solution Catches On
by Erika Lundahlposted Feb 20, 2014
- A growing number of towns and cities have found a practical solution to homelessness through the construction of tiny-house villages—and housing officials are taking notice.
How the Fight Against Alabama's Anti-Immigrant Law Transformed a Community
by Levana Saxonposted Feb 17, 2014
- Gwendolyn Ferreti Manjarrez is an organizer with the Alabama Coalition for Immigrant Justice. Here, she speaks about the role of grassroots groups in the fight to roll back HB 56.
When Her Photo Became an Anti-Feminist Meme, This College Woman Fought Back—and Thousands Joined Her
by Erika Lundahl, Rachael Stoeveposted Feb 03, 2014
- From internet memes to campus quads, young people are reworking feminism to meet today's challenges.
To Truly Address Inequality, Let's Build a People-Centered Economy
by Laura Flandersposted Jan 30, 2014
- The high-tech hubs and natural gas drilling the president called for in his state of the union speech aren't the answer to our economic woes. Instead, we need to follow the leadership already coming from communities, workers, and small-business owners.
Obama Calls for "Opportunity for All": 8 Policies to Make It Happen
by Sarah van Gelderposted Jan 29, 2014
- While the president outlined important steps forward last night, bolder steps are needed. Here are eight with the power to truly create the universal opportunity the president called for.
India's Own "Occupy": How a New Political Party is Battling Corruption—and Winning
by Nathan Schneiderposted Jan 22, 2014
- A few months ago, India's Aam Aadmi Party was a curiosity; now, it’s a call for pro-democracy movements elsewhere to step up their game.
Infographic: 13 Ways Europe Does Food Safer, Cleaner, and Kinder
by YES! Editorsposted Jan 17, 2014
- How does the United States stack up against the European Union on food safety issues like GMOs, hormones, questionable chemicals, and other food additives?
Video: An In-Depth Look at North Carolina's Progressive "Moral Mondays" Movement
by YES! online staffposted Jan 14, 2014
- Alarmed by the ultraconservative policies of their state government, North Carolina residents are taking to the streets to say that social justice is the moral way to go.
After 20-Year Fight, Bronx Community Wins Big on Development Project Committed to Living Wages and Local Economy
by Laura Flandersposted Jan 03, 2014
- The people of New York’s poorest borough fought to ensure that redevelopment of its castle-like landmark will benefit those who live there. Will it be a gamechanger?
Abolish the Aisle: Would Divided Legislators Work Together If They Had to Sit in Alphabetical Order?
by Fran Kortenposted Dec 31, 2013
- Marco Rubio would be next to Bernie Sanders, and Paul Ryan would rub elbows with Ohio Democrat Tim Ryan. If we closed the personal gap, maybe we could close the political one.
Only 4 Percent of the Lowest-Wage Workers Get Paid Family Leave: Could a New Law Change This?
by Elizabeth Ben-Ishaiposted Dec 12, 2013
- Many small businesses do want to give their workers paid time off to care for new babies and sick family members, but lack the means. How a new bill could make it possible.
Boulder Votes to Break With Xcel and Start Its Own Power Utility
by Bob Massieposted Dec 09, 2013
- Why moving utilities from corporate to public control puts energy, dollars, and decisions into the hands of local communities.
The Facts Are In: Austerity Politics Doesn't Work
by Sally Kohnposted Dec 03, 2013
- From England's double-dip recession to Portugal's spiking unemployment, there is now conclusive evidence of the complete failure of austerity.
"Escape Fire" Doc Explores the Fight to Rescue American Healthcare
by Valerie Schloredtposted Nov 19, 2013
- Beyond the Affordable Care Act, the film explores how to make a healthier America.
5 Solutions for a Kinder Cellphone
posted Nov 18, 2013
- Forget smarter! This infographic depicts the lifecycle of a cellphone, and points out non-toxic, conflict-free mineral responsible design.