Imagine a gathering of people from all walks of life, coming together by the thousands on the issues that move them to forge a movement big enough for all of us.
Welcome to the 2010 US Social Forum, a gathering of thousands of activists from around the country.
Bailouts Redefined: Interview with David Korten
by Sarah van GelderJun 28, 2010
- David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy and an attendee of the US Social Forum, on how a new economy can bail out both people and nature.
First Domestic Workers’ Bill of Rights Passes
by Elizabeth DiNovellaJun 28, 2010
- The successful campaign to pass the Domestic Workers Bill of Rights in New York is cause for celebration at 2010 US Social Forum.
Social Forum Moments to Combat Cynicism
by Mark EnglerJun 25, 2010
- The US Social Forum in Detroit thrives in smaller moments, free of grand pretense.
People Without Homes, Homes Without People
by Brooke JarvisJun 24, 2010
- In New York City, low-income people fighting for affordable housing are taking on the developers of vacant condo projects.
Danny Glover: Let’s Reclaim Our Country
by Sarah van GelderJun 23, 2010
- Actor and activist Danny Glover on how the Social Forum is strengthening people's movements.
US Social Forum Detroit: Opening March
Jun 23, 2010
- Photo Essay: Thousands attended the march to kick off the week-long event in Detroit.
US Social Forum Kicks Off
by Sarah van GelderJun 22, 2010
- The US Social Forum begins with arrivals of caravans and a poor people's march, and an opening "We have a dream" protest march and rally.
Detroit’s Renewal: Can It Inspire the Social Forum?
by Sarah van GelderJun 21, 2010
- Detroit is known for its decay, violence, and gas-guzzling cars. With thousands of activists coming to town, will it also become known as a source of hope?
A Personal Invitation to the US Social Forum
by Adrienne Maree BrownMay 13, 2010
- The national coordinator of the US Social Forum, Adrienne Maree Brown offers her brief, heartfelt list of reasons to come to Detroit to participate in the 2010 USSF.
US Social Forum: Forging Alliances, a Movement of Movements
by Ashlee GreenMar 04, 2010
- Organizers expect more than 25,000 when the second United States Social Forum meets June 22–26, 2010, in Detroit.
On the Road to Detroit: How to Get to the U.S. Social Forum 2010
Feb 11, 2010
- Are you thinking about going to the U.S. Social Forum this year? Here are some tips on how to get there.
One More Thing Seattle's WTO Shutdown Taught the World
by Sarah van GelderNov 24, 2009
- Among the many ripple effects of the successful shutdown of the WTO in Seattle in 1999 is one that few know about. The organizing that went into the direct action, marches, media center, and forums inspired the organizers of the World Social Forums, which have become some of the world's most important centers of people power.
First Anniversary of the U.S. Social Forum
by Alice LovelaceAug 14, 2008
- Just over a year ago on June 27 to July 1, 2007, on a hot Atlanta summer week, we were making history at the first-ever US Social Forum (USSF)! We brought together more than 12,000 people from 64 countries and diverse sectors from all over the U.S. and various Indigenous Nations to declare that “Another World is Possible” and that “Another US is Necessary!”
World Social Forum :: Liberated Spaces at Your Doorstep
by Lilja OttoNov 07, 2007
- Since 2001, people from all corners of the globe have come to the World Social Forums (WSF) to build strategies for another world. This year, the World Social Forum is coming to them.
Photo Essay: The First USSF in Atlanta, Ga.
Aug 14, 2007