The Village Building Convergence
May 12, 2010
- Portland, Ore. is the home of the Village Building Convergence, an annual event that draws on the power and creativity of neighbors to build the places they'd like to live.
5 Ways to Stand Up for Fairer Taxes
by Chuck CollinsApr 12, 2010
- How can we protect public services while stopping the "Great Tax Shift" from corporations and the wealthy to the middle class and small businesses?
Solidarity as Economic System
by Beverly BellMar 26, 2010
- In Haiti, sharing communities are proving more shock-proof in the wake of disaster than market-based economies.
8 Keys to a Successful Commons
by Elinor OstromFeb 26, 2010
- Advice on how to govern our commons by Nobel winner Elinor Ostrom.
Elinor Ostrom Wins Nobel for Common(s) Sense
by Fran KortenFeb 26, 2010
- Elinor Ostrom was an unusual choice for the 2009 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences.
We Won't Bow Down
by Rebecca SolnitFeb 15, 2010
- The tradition of Carnival teaches us that resistance to the status quo can be a pleasure and an adventure.
Have Yourself a Commons Holiday
by Jay WalljasperDec 22, 2009
- The holidays are the one time of the year when American domesticity expands beyond the narrow circle of the nuclear family of mom, dad, and the kids—when we take a step in the direction of commoning.
No Need to Wait (or Pay) for Climate Technology
by David BollierDec 04, 2009
- Did you think most clean energy technology is locked up by patent holders? The Global Innovation Commons lists thousands of energy-saving technologies already in the public domain.
Giving Thanks for What We Share
by Jay WalljasperNov 23, 2009
- The sharing ethic of the commons is woven into American traditions.
The Victory of the Commons
by Jay WalljasperOct 27, 2009
- Nobel Prize-winning economist Elinor Ostrom proved that people can—and do—work together to manage commonly held resources without degrading them.
One World, One Web
by Nathaniel JamesSep 24, 2009
- On OneWebDay, people worldwide celebrate the democratizing power of the Internet by working to give everyone fast, affordable access to the Web.
Udaipur Hands Down Skills
by Lynsi BurtonSep 09, 2009
- Shikshantar believes anyone can be a teacher and when people collaborate, they can develop a “culture of learning.”
People We Love :: Tom Steinberg
Feb 13, 2009
- Profile of mySociety.org founder Tom Steinberg.
People Taking Charge :5: Sharing Food, Breaking the Law
Nov 07, 2007
- Orlando's Food Not Bombs Feed the Hungry in Downtown Parks, using direct action to create a grassroots alternative to the capitalist economy.
People Taking Charge: Homeless Build Community
Nov 07, 2007
- Prestes Maia and the Downtown Housing Movement Create Homes for the Homeless in Brazil