Becoming stewards of our social, cultural, and natural heritage.
The Village Building Convergence
posted May 12, 2010
- Portland, Ore. is the home of the Village Building Convergence, an annual event that draws on the power and creativity of neighbors to build the places they'd like to live.
5 Ways to Stand Up for Fairer Taxes
by Chuck Collinsposted Apr 12, 2010
- How can we protect public services while stopping the "Great Tax Shift" from corporations and the wealthy to the middle class and small businesses?
Solidarity as Economic System
by Beverly Bellposted Mar 26, 2010
- In Haiti, sharing communities are proving more shock-proof in the wake of disaster than market-based economies.
8 Keys to a Successful Commons
by Elinor Ostromposted Feb 26, 2010
- Advice on how to govern our commons by Nobel winner Elinor Ostrom.
Elinor Ostrom Wins Nobel for Common(s) Sense
by Fran Kortenposted Feb 26, 2010
- Elinor Ostrom was an unusual choice for the 2009 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences.
We Won't Bow Down
by Rebecca Solnitposted Feb 15, 2010
- The tradition of Carnival teaches us that resistance to the status quo can be a pleasure and an adventure.
Have Yourself a Commons Holiday
by Jay Walljasperposted Dec 22, 2009
- The holidays are the one time of the year when American domesticity expands beyond the narrow circle of the nuclear family of mom, dad, and the kids—when we take a step in the direction of commoning.
No Need to Wait (or Pay) for Climate Technology
by David Bollierposted Dec 04, 2009
- Did you think most clean energy technology is locked up by patent holders? The Global Innovation Commons lists thousands of energy-saving technologies already in the public domain.
Giving Thanks for What We Share
by Jay Walljasperposted Nov 23, 2009
- The sharing ethic of the commons is woven into American traditions.
The Victory of the Commons
by Jay Walljasperposted Oct 27, 2009
- Nobel Prize-winning economist Elinor Ostrom proved that people can—and do—work together to manage commonly held resources without degrading them.
One World, One Web
by Nathaniel Jamesposted Sep 24, 2009
- On OneWebDay, people worldwide celebrate the democratizing power of the Internet by working to give everyone fast, affordable access to the Web.
Udaipur Hands Down Skills
by Lynsi Burtonposted Sep 09, 2009
- Shikshantar believes anyone can be a teacher and when people collaborate, they can develop a “culture of learning.”
People We Love :: Tom Steinberg
posted Feb 13, 2009
- Profile of mySociety.org founder Tom Steinberg.
People Taking Charge :5: Sharing Food, Breaking the Law
posted Nov 07, 2007
- Orlando's Food Not Bombs Feed the Hungry in Downtown Parks, using direct action to create a grassroots alternative to the capitalist economy.
People Taking Charge: Homeless Build Community
posted Nov 07, 2007
- Prestes Maia and the Downtown Housing Movement Create Homes for the Homeless in Brazil