BP Oil Spill
Powerful ideas and practical actions for responding to one of the greatest environmental disasters in history.
A Message from the Gulf: It’s Not Over
by Cherri Foytlinposted Apr 20, 2011
- A year after the BP oil spill, Cherri Foytlin walked 1,243 miles to send a message: this disaster is far from over.
Diary of a Disaster: 6 Months in the Gulf
by Riki Ottposted Jan 11, 2011
- What it’s like to respond to an environmental and democratic crisis—and where we go from here.
A Crisis of Democracy: Real Solutions to the BP Oil Spill
by Brooke Jarvisposted Aug 23, 2010
- For Gulf residents, the BP oil spill has made the problem of unchecked corporate power painfully clear. Exxon Valdez survivor Riki Ott on why this may be the moment to overcome our political divides and take back our democracy.
Gulf Fishermen Protest Re-opening of Fishing Grounds
by Sue Sturgisposted Aug 18, 2010
- Those who know the Gulf best say seafood still isn’t safe following BP’s oil disaster.
Can Mushrooms Save the Planet?
posted Aug 13, 2010
- Video: Mycologist Paul Stamets gives six ways fungi can help save the planet.
The Oil Spill’s Unseen Culprits, Victims
posted Aug 10, 2010
- In this TED Talk, Blue Ocean Institute founder Carl Safina discloses the unseen culprits and victims of the BP oil spill.
Pete Seeger: Don’t Give Up, Don’t Give In
posted Aug 04, 2010
- As Willie Nelson taught us, you just can’t play a sad song on a banjo. Folk legend Pete Seeger unveils his newest protest song.
Why the Fight for the Gulf is Also in Borneo
by Jamie Hennposted Jul 29, 2010
- A proposed coal plant in Malaysia is provoking an international outcry.
2010 a Tipping Point for Renewable Energy
by Brooke Jarvisposted Jul 28, 2010
- 100 days into the BP disaster, it's time to quit claiming that an economy based on fossil fuels is our only option.
Tribes Unite to Fight BP
by Sue Sturgisposted Jul 07, 2010
- Indigenous leaders from Ecuador visited Louisiana to share what they learned in a decades-long battle with Texaco.
“Action is the Antidote to Despair”
posted Jul 06, 2010
- Photo essay: A photographer confronts the BP oil disaster.
New Heroes in the Fight Against Big Oil
by Madeline Ostranderposted Jun 25, 2010
- How one Florida restaurant owner has organized a force against offshore drilling.
Bonn Climate Talks: Beyond BP
by Jamie Hennposted Jun 17, 2010
- Even as we work to prevent future disasters and break the U.S. oil addiction, we must keep up pressure for a fair, ambitious climate treaty.
Polls: Time for Action
by Madeline Ostranderposted Jun 11, 2010
- In the wake of the BP disaster in the Gulf, Americans are ready for clean energy.
Beyond the Blame Game
by Rabbi Ted Falconposted Jun 11, 2010
- How can we step into the experience of the other and learn that true dialogue is possible only when blame is shared.