Cities, Towns, Transport
A livable, sustainable human habitat.
When Density Meets Community
by Richard Conlinposted Apr 07, 2011
- In Seattle, cutting carbon while increasing quality of life.
How to Design a Neighborhood for Happiness
by Jay Walljasperposted Apr 04, 2011
- The way we design our communities plays a huge role in how we experience our lives.
In the Built Environment, the Tyranny of the Big, the Beauty of the Small
by Jason McLennanposted Mar 11, 2011
- Green building leader Jason McLennan on ways to keep our buildings and cities at a healthy, human scale.
YES! Picks: Dispensing Seed Bombs
by Caitlin Battersbyposted Mar 01, 2011
- Seed bombs are a favorite tool of guerrilla gardeners for planting flowers on derelict ground.
Changing with the Climate
by Richard Conlinposted Feb 07, 2011
- In Seattle, how changes in policy help prepare for changes in climate.
How to Be a Car-Free Family
by Angela and Dorea Vierling-Claassenposted Feb 02, 2011
- Tired of paying car insurance, sitting in traffic jams, and guzzling too much gas? Advice for finally moving beyond the car.
Inez Killingsworth: Fighting Foreclosures
posted Feb 01, 2011
- How one outspoken resident is helping Cleveland's families keep their homes.
One of Many Detroits
by Anonymousposted Jan 21, 2011
- Photo essay: "The people of this city are not abstractions." An anonymous Detroit photographer shares a view of the city that the mainstream media doesn't cover.
A Reality Check on the Plug-In Revolution
by Guy Daunceyposted Jan 14, 2011
- What’s really needed if we are to turn the Plug-In Revolution into the main event, instead of a colorful but distracting sideshow?
Let It Snow: The ABCs of Winter Biking
by Jay Walljasperposted Jan 14, 2011
- Tips for winter riding from the coldest big city in America.
Fixing the Future
posted Jan 14, 2011
- Video: David Brancaccio's full documentary as he travels the country to visit communities that are changing their economy in unique ways.
A Car-Free Street in Queens
posted Jan 14, 2011
- Parents, children, painters, and teens now have a community play space in their Jackson Heights neighborhood.
A Different City
by Richard Conlinposted Jan 05, 2011
- In Seattle, the coming decades will bring new challenges—from storms and rising seas to climate refugees. How will the city adapt?
The Tiny House Movement
posted Dec 17, 2010
- Video: David Brancaccio learns about extreme downsizing with residents of tiny houses.
Seeding Small Business: 5 Ideas from Detroit
by Stacy Mitchellposted Dec 17, 2010
- Detroit entrepreneurs are learning to rely on each other, finding the seeds of a new economy in resources discarded by corporate America.