Cities, Towns, Transport
A livable, sustainable human habitat.
Join YES! for No Impact Week
posted Dec 01, 2010
- You’re invited to a one-week carbon cleanse that could change the way you think about your life—and the planet, too.
Cycle City, USA
by Jay Walljasperposted Nov 29, 2010
- How Portland plans to become the first world-class bike city in America.
The World’s First Living Buildings
by Eden Brukmanposted Nov 22, 2010
- Once deemed too ambitious, the next generation of green building is now a reality.
The Road to Right-Size Cities
by Frank and Deborah Popperposted Nov 16, 2010
- The American fable of all-but-permanent urban and economic growth is over. How cities can prepare for a smaller, but not necessarily worse, future.
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Hit the Road
by Alyssa B. Johnsonposted Nov 14, 2010
- How government and industry are getting behind a new breed of electric cars.
An Interstate Bicycling System
by Winona Batemanposted Nov 01, 2010
- A system of bicycle routes to connect the nation? It’s happening.
Cycle Chic Around the Globe
posted Oct 25, 2010
- Video: What does fashion have to do with transforming biking from a recreational pastime to a way of life?
Reaching for Resilience
by Christa Hillstromposted Oct 21, 2010
- 10 ways that one rural ecovillage is building strong foundations for coming times.
How to Make Biking Mainstream: Lessons from the Dutch
by Jay Walljasperposted Sep 29, 2010
- The Dutch have spent 35 years perfecting the country's bicycling infrastructure. We, too, can transform biking from a recreational pastime to an integral part of our transportation system.
Where Bikes Rule the Road
posted Sep 29, 2010
- Video: What's it like to get around in a city built for bikes?
Reclaim Your Streets: How to Create Safe and Social Pedestrian Plazas
by Erika Kosinaposted Sep 22, 2010
- 6 steps for replacing cars with parks.
Happy Park(ing) Day
posted Sep 17, 2010
- One day a year, in cities throughout the country, parking spots take on a whole new meaning. Simply by paying the parking meter and rolling out some grass, residents claim these spaces as public parks.
From Vacant City Lots to Food On the Table
by Madeline Ostranderposted Sep 17, 2010
- How to grow food where we need it.
In U.S. Transition Towns, the Big Challenge is Bringing People Together
by Lynsi Burtonposted Sep 17, 2010
- When it comes to local resilience, it takes all kinds: Building bridges for a post-oil America
Skill Up, Party Down
by Mason Inmanposted Sep 17, 2010
- Transition Towns plan a gentle descent from oil dependence—and have a blast in the process.